Ambient Light Over Florescent Light

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My tank is set up in a room that has one wall with a sliding glass door on it without any curtains. This door opens up on a covered patio so there isn't any way for sunlight to get directly into the room (i.e. no problem with excessive algae growth), however, there is quite a bit of ambient light in the room. There is enough light in the room to read by without straining your eyes, and of course you can see the fish as well. Now you can see the fish so much better with the florescent light, but most of the day there isn't any one home to view them anyway. So the question is, do the fish prefer a certain amount of light? Should I have the florescent light on 8 hours as normally recommended or is the ambient room light enough and when I actually do want to view them I can turn on the florescent?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think you necessarily have to light up a tank just for the fish. Your natural light will be fine for the fish most of the time. If you have live plants or a saltwater tank, the flourescent lighting is essential.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I may eventually start getting into real plants, but that will be way down the line once I have an established tank. At that point I will be re-reading all of the 'how-to' articles and get lights that will work for that. Thanks for the response.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Personally, I would leave the tank lights off if there is no one there to enjoy the fish anyway. Just turn them on when you are home to appreciate the view! The ambient light will be enough for the fish when you aren't there.

Sean

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom