Amazon sword problems !!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Robbo, May 13, 2006.

1. RobboNew MemberMember

Hi

I have a amzon sward in my tank, but all of a sudden 2 of the tallest leafs seem to be dying, there is new growth. Is this normal ???

2. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

How large is your tank and what is the wattage and spectrum of your lightbulb? Amazon sword is at least a medium-light plant and it will barely survive under standard (meaning low) lighting or it will die under such conditions. I also have a couple Amazon Swords in my 30G tank that has a 20W bulb. To tell you the truth, while the plants are alive, they do BARELY survive in my tank. They grow VERY slowly and every once in a while some leaves decay. This is because my lighting is too low in my tank for a plant like this. I suppose the same is happening in your case.

Decay of leaves is normal in a plant's life cycle. Even in high-light planted tanks plants have decaying leaves from time to time, but these plants are not dying but doing very well. However, like I said, under a standard light, the plant will eventually die, or at best it will continue to barely survive (such as in my case).

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Just pull the old leaves off so the new ones can come on.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice