Amazon sword problems !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo

Reaction score
Hi

I have a amzon sward in my tank, but all of a sudden 2 of the tallest leafs seem to be dying, there is new growth. Is this normal ???

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How large is your tank and what is the wattage and spectrum of your lightbulb? Amazon sword is at least a medium-light plant and it will barely survive under standard (meaning low) lighting or it will die under such conditions. I also have a couple Amazon Swords in my 30G tank that has a 20W bulb. To tell you the truth, while the plants are alive, they do BARELY survive in my tank. They grow VERY slowly and every once in a while some leaves decay. This is because my lighting is too low in my tank for a plant like this. I suppose the same is happening in your case.

Decay of leaves is normal in a plant's life cycle. Even in high-light planted tanks plants have decaying leaves from time to time, but these plants are not dying but doing very well. However, like I said, under a standard light, the plant will eventually die, or at best it will continue to barely survive (such as in my case).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just pull the old leaves off so the new ones can come on.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom