amazon sword plant is turning brown 30 Gallon Tank 

xbluexlagoonx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hi im new to fish lore and i started up my 35 gl tank a month ago and i bought an amazon sword plant about a week ago and when i bought it, it was perfect and green with no brown spots. but now it has brown spots appearing everyday more and more. i read that it needs alot of light and i only have a 15wat bulb. could this be why it is turning brown or do i need a fertilizing supplement. my anglefish love the plant and id hate to get rid of it cuz it died. also my ph is 1.0 which the plant should be in a ph of 6.0-8.0. the person at the pet store said it will be fine but im not sure to what may be causing the brown spots. please help thanks

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

Your PH is 1.0!! That's got to be a typo. Is it possible for you to post a photo of the plant? That way we can see exactly what the damage is & how it is forming. My first guess would be that your tank is starting to get diatoms & the brown spots are actually on the leaves not the actual leaves themselves getting brown spots. Unfortunately the 15w light you have isn't going to be enough to grow the Sword plant in your 35gal tank though so it is possible that lack of light is a problem. Low lit tanks are notorious for suffering from diatoms. PH could also be an issue depending on what it really is.

The next thing is are you absolutely sure that the tank is 35gal? a 24" x 8" tank shouldn't hold anywhere near that volume of water. That should be more like 10 gallon.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore

I would say that a PH of 1 has to be a typo either in your test kit or you hit the wrong key, cuz that would kill any fish instantly. I wouldn't even want to put my hand in there, cuz of how acidic that is! The tank size doesn't match up either, the dimensions you gave kinda sound like a 15 gal low or a 10 gal. I would also say it is probably the lights killing your plant.

I know I basicly repeated what Nutter said, but when I thought it out in my head it sounded more different than it turned out to be ;D

xbluexlagoonx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well my tank is kindof a hexagon shape. but its deffenity 35 gallons. i didnt measure the full parimeter of it. and i have a api ph test kit and it reads from 0 which is nuetural to 10.0. and my tank is freshwater.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
API test kits don't go from 0 to 10. The API kits measure from 6.2-8.8 depending on wether you have a mid range or high range kit. Is it possible that your using the wrong kit or for you to post a pic of the test kit in question? It sounds to me like you might be using a nitrite test kit.

Hexagon tanks are difficult to work out the exact volume of & an even bigger pain to work out the lighting on. I do know that your 15w light isn't going to be enough for the Sword in your tank though, regardless of the tanks size. You would need to be looking at something more like 40w of light to get Swords to grow in there.

xbluexlagoonx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
there is my amazon sword plant

Attachments

xbluexlagoonx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
actually i read the test wrong. phosphate test kit. but isnt it the same as a ph test kit? my phosphate is 1.0

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like damage from a lack of light & also from shock at being moved. It might recover a little once it gets used to it's new home but in the long run I think lack of light is still going to be it's biggest enemy. Use a clean pair of scissors to remove any of the damaged leaves as close to the base of the plant as you can. That will channel the plants energy into maintaining the healthy leaves rather than trying to repair the damaged ones, giving it a better chance of survival.

No phosphate is not the same as PH. Phosphate is a waste product in the water & is one of the nutrients used by plants in small amounts. PH is a measure of how acidic or alkaline the water is.

xbluexlagoonx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok thanks so much. would it be ok if i sat a lamp ontop of the aquarium. the lamp is like the ones you use for snakes. i put a 60 watt bulb in it.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you can put a lamp over the aquarium so long as it isn't going to fall in or get wet. If the lamp has an incandescent bulb in it than swap that for one of the energy saver bulbs. Incandescent lighting is very inefficient & isn't very good for plants. The energy savers are good for plants though & produce much more usable light than the equivelant incandescent.

xbluexlagoonx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok thanks ill go and buy myself on now. and would my ph level effect my plant also?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the PH will effect the plant but most plants are fairly adaptable & a Ph anywhere between 6.2 & 8.0 will be tolerated by most plants. The PH effects nutrient uptake by the plant, as in different amounts of each nutrient element are available to the plant at different PH levels. A PH of 6.8-7.2 is ideal for most aquarium plants but most plants will adapt to Ph outside those paramaters with no problems. Swords generally prefer soft acidic water (PH under 7.0) but you shouldn't have any trouble growing them in water with a PH of up to 7.8. I personally have grown many aquarium plant varieties in water with a PH of 8.2 without any great drama but I know to expect a certain amount of initial foliage loss due to shock & that the plants growth rate may be different to if it was grown in ideal parameters, so I can change other things like nutrient dosing to allow for such things.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads