Amazon Sword Mini Plants On Stem Thingies

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so the title is a bit confusing but my large amazon sword has a stem/stalk that has what look like mini swords on it, it hasn’t set out runners yet in the few months I’ve had it which I know is weird but it seems to be doing great otherwise, and I do have root tabs. Anyways I’m wondering if I can propegate this little thingamajigs, I’d like to propegate more of my plants but I’ll wait until my money wort plants are a bit taller, my anubias is small enough as it is, my moss balls are nice and round so I don’t want to ruin them, and my corkscrew cal is just doing it’s thing so I do t want to disturb it. Which leaves my sword, and I don’t want to uproot it as that would be uprooting everything and cause chaos, but I’m wondering if these mini swords can be propegate?
(Don’t mind my photobombing platy and sorry the moneywort is kinda distracting in the background)

Attachments

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Yes, those are runners and a sign of a healthy plant . They’re quite easy to propagate; you’ll want to wait till each plantlet has some good root growth, then cut the runner about 1-2” below the point of attachment. Then you can go ahead and replant the propagation. I do this quite a bit and have gotten tons of new plants to raise this way

Make sure to use very sharp scissors so you don’t crush the runner too much which can lead to eventual rot of the runner; you want a clean cut

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, so the runners don’t look like valisneria runners. Well, that’s good! How long should it take for them to get roots?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom