Amazon sword lifespan

nipo

Hello,
I've had an amazon sword plant in my tank for 1.5 years. It was 8 inches when purchased, at the peak its leaves were 2ft tall, lately they are 8 inches again, and growth slowed down significantly. Is it near the end of its life? How long do they live for?
60 gallon, CO2, leaf zone, nitrate rate varies all the time in the range of 10-40ppm.
Thanks,
Nipo

Butterfly

Sword plants are heavy root feeders. Root tabs pushed into the substrate as close to the roots as you can get them will most likely bring your sword plant back. Probably even make it multiply.
Hope that helps
Carol

nipo

it seems like overzealous vacuuming next to the plant would actually hurt it? Both by disrupting the roots and removing the nutrients. What do you think?

oOBlueOo

When it's under high light and given root tabs, an Amazon sword is pretty indestructible. I've vacuumed around mine and even clipped off a good portion of the roots (it was taking over the tank) and the plant is still throwing out new leaves.

I even had a pleco
that reduced it to only 3 leaves. So if they have the right conditions, I think they can live a long time.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

jaz

I have been keeping amazon sword for 3 years. The amazon sword plants benefit from regular doses of iron rich fertilizer and weekly water change. It will also benefit from root tab fertilizers and will grow extremely well without CO2 .

Attachments

• SAM_0348.JPG
    SAM_0348.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 219

Oenone

I'd say you need to give it a couple of new root tabs and it will be fine

SwissCheeseHead

I use Osmocote+ pushed into a sand substrate and dose 2x weekly with Flourish Comprehensive and daily with Flourish Excel. Do I still need to add an iron supplement like Flourish Iron? I don't see any yellowing of veins like an iron deficiency would indicate, but it's not taking over by any means. Also, some leaves turn brown, but not all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
attheworld
  • Question
Replies
Views
Phantom240
  • Question
Replies
Views