Amazon Sword Leaves Thinning

strobukm

I've got a few different Amazon swords in my 72 gallon tank, most are fine, but two of them have leaves that are thinning and turning brown, but the veins are still green. They've been in this tank for maybe 5-6 months and we're purchased in the plastic tubes from Petco. None of the other swords in the tank have this problem. I use seachem root tabs and NilocG dry ferts that I premix into micro and macro solutions. Could this be because they were grown submersed? Is a months long delay before the leaves melt normal? Should I cut off all of the thinning leaves?

pH is 7.8
0/0/0, yes, tank is cycled
GH 8, KH 4

awilkinson871

It is not uncommon for the plants sold in tubes to start melting. Mine swords were the same and it took months for them to start looking bad. Keep using the root tabs- I add them monthly. Swords do not feed through the water so they dont really need liquid fertilization but you may have other plants that do. Trim off the leaves that are turning brown or transparent. This will save the plant from using energy to try to repair them and it will instead start to grow new ones. Swords have been known to grow back after having most of the leaves removed, but I usually try to leave as many as possible and only cut a few ever week or two if needed.

Mudminnow

The slowly melting leaves of your swords are in their emersed form. These leaves will not recover. But, your plants are probably just fine. In time, they should sprout new immersed leaves tailor made to live in your tank.

I don't agree that sword plants don't use liquid fertilizers in the water column--they do. But, providing root tabs is still good advice.

StarGirl

I have not had good luck with the Seachem root tabs myself. My swords always did the same thing yours is doing. I switched to the Thrive tabs and my plants seem to be doing much better so far. I also am trying some of Vishaquatics root tabs right now too.

strobukm

I have a ton of seachem root tabs, so I'll use those up before switching to Thrive and I'll continue to add the micro and macro fertilizers to the water column. I was surprised that the leaves took several months to start looking like this. They have been healthy until now and none of the other swords I purchased at the same time that are in the same tank look like this. I'll trim 1-2 of the thinning leaves per week until I am (hopefully) only left with healthy green leaves. Thanks for all of the advice!

Ksway

Don't worry a little bit of melt isn't a big deal and will grow new leaves shortly and very common in swords and crypts. Trim the ones dying off as previous post said and As one of the post above said swords are extremely heavy root feeders and will uptake most of there nutrients from the roots and partially from the column. So definitely keep feeding the roots they will do much better than liquid ferts.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EbiAqua
  • Question
Replies
Views
RedOnion
  • Question
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory