Amazon Sword Leaves Self Dissolving And Brown Spots Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by TinyWhoop, Apr 12, 2018.

1. TinyWhoop

TinyWhoop New Member Member

what seems to be the problem? Thanks

57B9D4DB-3B46-4495-B05A-25D59D5BD574.jpeg CF6092EE-74E9-4B8E-9B2B-C23E4E723474.jpeg B962AE84-3594-43AB-BDDF-B06054C7D04D.jpeg
    A0C9EF9A-53EB-47CC-83C8-B8B4E9951BB3.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    TinyWhoop

Lack of Potassium?

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Was it grown emersed. The pics not very clear if it was but if so its just emersed form dieing and growing submerged leaves

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

or nitrates / phosfates

5. OP
    OP
    TinyWhoop

It was submerged when in the LFS

6. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Lack of macro minerals. Flourish will fix this in time.

7. OP
    OP
    TinyWhoop

I have been dosing 1ml flourish in my 10g twice a week.

8. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

@musserump09 Flourish has no macros. For a balanced all in one check out thrive by nilocg, or add seachem nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus.

Do you have root tabs in with them? I prefer two tabs per sword.

Also, just because they were submerged at the lfs, doesn’t mean they were grown that way. Possible new arrivals, etc.

9. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Agree, my amazon sword had that same leaf and died off and after new leaves grow it look way different now less stem and broad leaves

10. McGoo

McGoo Valued Member Member

Most Lfs plants come from a nursery and those nurseries grow there plants immersed as well as being co2 injected. Most swords from the store have rounded teardrop shaped leaves, and will die off, before being replaced by long pointy ones. A lot of the reason why the stores red plants are so red, such as scarlet temple, is because of the nurseries that have co2, high light, or are immersed. The plants at the store look good because that's where they just came from. They'll all most likely melt away, except for the few exceptions such as anubias and various rhizomed plants. I stay away from the big box stores, and go with smaller locally owned stores that sell plants from local people with fully established tanks. It's hard for a plant to go from a high co2 environment being immersed, to a tank that is low co2 and submerged.

11. OP
    OP
    TinyWhoop

I see
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice