Amazon Sword Issues!?!

NewlyPlanted

I purchased what I believe is a narrow leaf amazon sword plant (the kind that come in the package on the shelf) and it was looking very good but slowly it has started to grow these brownish strings on the leaves and brown spots started to appear. I figured it was just transitioning from being grown out of water and now being fully submerged, but it doesn't look right. Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about I'm still pretty new to fish and live plants. Any help would be amazing thanks in advance. I'll add pictures to hopefully help, it's a 20g tall with 3 nerite snails, 3 glo tetras, and 3 neon tetras (I know they are supposed to be in larger schools but the rest of them that I got from pet smart died)
These are the pictures of my plants I have 2 and they both have the same thing happening.

Spudsssy

That's a Java fern and it's growing offshoots... Those brown yokes are roots.

Roots should be exposed as they take nutrients from water. Attach to bogwood or rock.

Upvote 0

LouPey

I was going to say it looks a lot like my java fern rooting. Lucky! As above, I'd attach them to some to grow them. They look nice on wood. I've even noticed a piece trying to grow on the substrate so I think it's quite versatile.

Upvote 0

jake37

It is a java fern but the brown things are not actually 'roots' in the sense of a traditional plant. It will begin to grow little plants where you see those brown things and eventually these new plants will break off and grow on their own. I believe the 'brown' roots don't actually take in nutrients but rather they grip surface the plants settle against. Either way that is not a sword plant and eventually you will see new leaves and little plants form - don't tear them off - wait for them to break free on their own.

That's a Java fern and it's growing offshoots... Those brown yokes are roots.

Roots should be exposed as they take nutrients from water. Attach to bogwood or rock.

Upvote 0

NewlyPlanted

Thank you all so so much!!! I was thinking it was dying, so I should not plant the roots into the substrate, I have sand, how do I attached it to the wood. I have quite a bit in my tank at the moment.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
FishFor2018
Replies
Views
Chanyi