Amazon Sword forest Aquascape?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by :) fatcatfish (:, Jun 19, 2016.

1. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (:Well Known MemberMember

I have finally come to the conclusion of how I want my tank to look after staring at a rather plain 'aquascape' for the past month. I have decided to go for something which may be a little unique (or not) and create a sort of Amazon Sword forest. I would use larger Echinodorus Bleheri and place them in small groups around the tank to create a 'canopy' of sorts and then leave a few spaces where a few Pygmy Chain Swords can grow and create the likes of an 'undergrowth' possibly around a piece of twisty root-like wood.

Would it work? Once the aquascaping really gets underway I will be using a liquid fertiliser, would CO2 also be ideal too?

Thank you all in advance :)

2. jickey

jickeyValued MemberMember

That's an interesting idea - I'd like to see it once it's there.

Swords benefit greatly from root tabs...more important than CO2 IMO.

3. MokAquariums

MokAquariumsValued MemberMember

I agree. Swords take most of their nutrients from their roots so a nutrient rich substrate and root tabs would be more important than CO2 and liquid ferts.

4. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

I think the swords will create too much shade for pygmy chain sword to grow directly underneath it if you are thinking of a carpet will grow under there (how often do you see grass under a large shady tree? ).

5. OP
    OP
    :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (:Well Known MemberMember

bigdreams what foreground plant would be better suited to a shadier set up?

I currently have a gravel substrate and the three 17" Amazon Swordplants I have now are doing well without ferts (I will get some once I get paid) so I don't think my substrate is too bad nutrient wise.

6. Zack0220New MemberMember

Anubis Nana is low and grows well with low light, but it isn't a carpeting plant, it gets to 2-3 inches

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice