Amazon Sword Flowers?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Dave125g, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

This plant gets flowers? What should I do. IMG_20180321_072714.jpg IMG_20180321_072719.jpg

2. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Enjoy it! :) mine has done the same, and I had 2 rosette swords throw off runners with 10 new babies. Just keep dosing ferts at the rate you have been I guess.

3. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Thanks I will. This is certainly a surprise. My vals, wisteria, and ferns propagate all the time, but I've never had a sword do that.

4. Fishywife

Same as mine. I'll have to start selling off excess soon, I hate binning it. Sell cheap, or trade a cutting for something different!

5. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I usually trade my excess growth for store credit at the LFS or give them to friends.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  6. Fishywife

Lol the lfs's near me take but don't give. Anything at all. The Lfs in England used to give me 35% of what the fish was worth. I was breeding blue acara at that time. I just trade or sell it cheaply, and give to friends too. But, I only have 1 friend in Maine with a fishtank!

7. aniroc

aniroc Well Known Member Member

I don't see often swords flowering below the water surface. You must have excess phosphates or that plant was just recently submerged.

8. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I've had this sword for a few years. The tank may have extra phosphates. This is a 29 gallon my son and I set up for his science class. It gets about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight every day. I suspect that is why the plants do so well in there. It may also be the reason it's flowering under water.

9. Fishywife

I guess I have phosphates too. Is that bad thing? My plant is about 4 years old.

10. aniroc

No. Unless you'll rather have plantlets instead of flowers.

11. Fishywife

Yes better babies than silly flowers, my rosette swords throw of runners with babies on.so what can I do to make it have babies instead of flowers?

12. aniroc

Lower the phosphates and keep the stalk under the water.

13. Fishywife

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice