Amazon Sword Doesn't Look So Good

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by newbiefishkeeper, Apr 14, 2017.

1. n

newbiefishkeeper Valued Member Member

I do not understand why my amazon sword is looking so bad, I give it seachem root abs every month and the lighting has always been ok for but recently this month it has started to look like this. I have done changed anything or added anything.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    n

It is the leaf at the back of the tank

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of lighting do you have?

How long was it doing okay before it started looking like this?

4. FishWhishes

FishWhishes New Member Member

I'm not positive this is what's happening to you but I'll just share my personal experience.
    My amazon sword's leaves will die but it's always growing new ones all the time. I usually just pick off the dead leaves and they regrow. Does it look like there's any smaller new leaves growing? How long has it been like this?
    Also when I first got my amazon sword I put API Leaf Zone. That might help.

5. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Manganese deficiency causes yellow spotting or holes between the veins of the leaves. Could probably use more potassium also. Potassium deficiency causes yellow edges or spots.

6. OP
    OP
    n

@TexasDomer: I have some random Led that came with the hood in this aquarium kit as well as the 18.5 inch Mindak Led strip(Amazon).

When i Bought my sword it wasnt looking so well either but then it recovered and looked pretty good for 2 months. This past month is when its been doing badly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    n

fish wishes: New leaves regrow but eventually they start to look bad too

8. TexasDomer

I'm wondering if the lighting isn't enough. The LEDs that come with hoods are usually terrible, and strip of LEDs doesn't add a lot either. What's the light temp of the lights?

9. OP
    OP
    n

i only know the light trip which is 7000k

10. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I don't think root tabs have enough macros do they?

11. TexasDomer

Depends on the root tabs. Some do, but it seems Seachem's do not, good catch! That might be an issue then.

12. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I was looking for root tabs and I was only able to find Seachem and API ones, I havent red on API ones but Seachem only seem to be the root tab version of their Flourish liquid fert which only has micros.
    I only use potassium sulfate and Seachem Fluorish in my tanks and my plants seem to do well, so yeah, maybe the OP should try complementing with potassium sulfate or KNO3 and see how it goes.

13. TexasDomer

I use Osmocote Plus ferts in a gel cap for my root tabs, and they include both macros and micros. Might be something to look into!

14. OP
    OP
    n

I have a question though, I use it for my crypts and bacopa and don't know why they are doing ok while the sword I'd like suffering

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  15. TexasDomer

Swords are very heavy root feeders; it may just not be enough. Or it may be lighting. Or it may be a combo. But it's gotta be one of those.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice