Amazon heater almost kills fish

NicksFishTanks

Member
After having this tank set up, cycling, planting, and changing lots of things around over the past year I finally got discus about a month ago. Everything was going well and then I come home from dinner to all my fish at the surface breathing hard and my tanks at 89° I have this tank usually at 82° to accommodate all the fishes different temp ranges. It’s only one 500w heater so it probably went up to 89° over the course of maybe a hour and a half but I just wanted to share on here to warn about this heater brand. It almost killed everything I had spent so much time and money on. I have another backup heater that’s the same brand but after this experience I’m not going to be trusting this company any longer. Any brand or heater suggestions? It’s a 60 gallon discus tank.
 

LeviS

Member
I like eheim heaters, made in Germany.
Edit: 300w usually $44 but currently on sale at petsmart website for $26
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Thanks for the heads up. Guess maybe its good my Marineland arrived completely shattered thia week, too.
 
  • Thread Starter

NicksFishTanks

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Thanks for the heads up. Guess maybe its good my Marineland arrived completely shattered thia week, too.
I also have trouble with Marineland heaters. 2 out of 3 that I ever bought went bad within 6 months. It says it’s heating but it never actually heats the tank. These were both 300w.
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
NicksFishTanks said:
I also have trouble with Marineland heaters. 2 out of 3 that I ever bought went bad within 6 months. It says it’s heating but it never actually heats the tank. These were both 300w.
I could hear the pieces of my Marineland in the package before i even opened it.
 

jmaldo

Member
NicksFishTanks "Good" catch.
I use Aqueon Pro Series Heaters in all my tanks (8 at one time).
"Great" customer service, I had one which the coating started to deteriorate sent them an email, had a "New" one in about a week. When I kept "Discus" I used two 150w for redundency in my 55g. Check out their "Heater" Guideline.



Good Luck on whatever you choose to replace the faulty ones.
 

Noroomforshoe

Member
From a video or 2 that I watched on youtube, most aquarium heaters have similar rinky dink thermostats. This might have been part of the advertisment IDK, but you can buy an alarm system that will sound, or will turn your heater off, or both. I was tempted, but did not invest.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
NicksFishTanks said:
After having this tank set up, cycling, planting, and changing lots of things around over the past year I finally got discus about a month ago. Everything was going well and then I come home from dinner to all my fish at the surface breathing hard and my tanks at 89° I have this tank usually at 82° to accommodate all the fishes different temp ranges. It’s only one 500w heater so it probably went up to 89° over the course of maybe a hour and a half but I just wanted to share on here to warn about this heater brand. It almost killed everything I had spent so much time and money on. I have another backup heater that’s the same brand but after this experience I’m not going to be trusting this company any longer. Any brand or heater suggestions? It’s a 60 gallon discus tank.
I have had good experiences with the ViaAqua Quartz heaters.
 

ForceTen

Member
We were talking about tank heaters and controllers last night.
I used to work in a plastic extrusion plant and I had access to all kinds of temp controllers and other electronic temp control equipment. I also hade some immersion heaters. Not sure they would work in this temp range though. I think they would.
I have retired, but looking back, I should have kept a few things over the years. Many things would come in handy today.
So would the free help from other crafts. So I did find one thing not cool about retirement.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom