Amazon Frogbit Dying?

Sappy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ordered some amazon frogbit online and got them about a week ago. At first they seemed to be doing fine, but about 2 days ago I noticed lots of them turning brown, starting at the center of the leaf. I have my filter partitioned off using airline tubing so they don't really experience any movement. I figured this is just them adapting to my tank, but it seems weird that they didnt do this for the first 4-5 days. Also, I dose Seachem flourish + excel. So do you think its them adapting or possibly something else? Thanks.
20200326_153630.jpg

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I seem to remember reading somewhere that frogbit doesn't like for the tops of the leaves to get wet. Could that be it?

OP
S

Sappy

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that frogbit doesn't like for the tops of the leaves to get wet. Could that be it?
I've read that too but I don't think that's the problem. The airline tubing prevents them from getting tossed around by the filter and I don't have a lid so there is nothing dripping on them. Also, there are some leaves that are basically submerged and they seem fine.

RDcompton03

Reaction score
Dont know that I will be much help but the leaves getting wet is probably not the problem. At least its not a problem for mine. It might be a nutrient problem. Seachem Flourish is primarily micro nutrients. It may be that your frog bit needs some good old fashion nitates or other maco nutrient.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
My floating plants did this too. I attributed it to them getting acclimated to my water. I lost both dwarf water lettuce and red root floaters. Thankfully though both my frogbit and water lettuce made a comeback. Along the way a tiny piece of salvinia was attached to one of the floating plants I received and it grows and reproduces quickly. In fact it grew so quickly I was throwing away a handful or two of it each week.

With both frogbit and water lettuce the plants I received slowly died off but they made baby plants before they did and are now thriving. I hope yours gets used to your water quickly.

OP
S

Sappy

Reaction score
RDcompton03 said:
Dont know that I will be much help but the leaves getting wet is probably not the problem. At least its not a problem for mine. It might be a nutrient problem. Seachem Flourish is primarily micro nutrients. It may be that your frog bit needs some good old fashion nitates or other maco nutrient.
Wow for some reason I never even considered dosing macros, maybe that's the reason my other plants aren't doing too well too. Is aquariumcoop's easygreen a good liquid fert to use for macros? it seems to include nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, or is there a better alternative?

mattgirl said:
With both frogbit and water lettuce the plants I received slowly died off but they made baby plants before they did and are now thriving. I hope yours gets used to your water quickly.
That's what I'm hoping for, some of them are making babies.

RDcompton03

Reaction score
Sappy said:
Wow for some reason I never even considered dosing macros, maybe that's the reason my other plants aren't doing too well too. Is aquariumcoop's easygreen a good liquid fert to use for macros? it seems to include nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, or is there a better alternative?

That's what I'm hoping for, some of them are making babies.
aquarium co-op is what I use for my macro's,

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Reasons my frogbit has melted in the past:

1) water temp too hot
2) moving it from one tank to another with different parameters
3) snails eating it
4) too much water flow
5) arrived from seller in less-than-ideal condition
6) aphid infestation!

Frogbit likes cooler water with little surface agitation and flow, and plenty of nutrients in the water column. Snails will help clean up the rotting portions.

OP
S

Sappy

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Reasons my frogbit has melted in the past:

1) water temp too hot
2) moving it from one tank to another with different parameters
3) snails eating it
4) too much water flow
5) arrived from seller in less-than-ideal condition
6) aphid infestation!

Frogbit likes cooler water with little surface agitation and flow, and plenty of nutrients in the water column. Snails will help clean up the rotting portions.
I keep my tank at 76 degrees, is that too warm? I don't have any snails to eat it, though I do have some dwarf gouarmI that pick at the roots a bit (atleast they did when I first got the plants and they had nice roots), but I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason. Also, I don't really have much flow, just a hob filter with an airline tube circle around it to block it off. As I mentioned before, I have never dosed macros which could be the problem, I ordered some easygreen from aquarium coop and it will arrive Monday, hopefully there are some plants left to save by then. This is what they look like now, just 2 days after the first pic.
20200328_163052.jpg

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your water temp and movement are fine, I imagine they just got beat up from going through postage. My first order of Amazon frogbit was much the same when I received it years ago.

If you are patient enough, remove as many brown mushy leaves as you can. Not only will this prevent a buildup of organics in your tank, but it will encourage the plants to try to create healthy new growth instead of trying to support dead and dying leaves.

There's still plenty of green, so they're not beyond saving.

OP
S

Sappy

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Your water temp and movement are fine, I imagine they just got beat up from going through postage. My first order of Amazon frogbit was much the same when I received it years ago.

If you are patient enough, remove as many brown mushy leaves as you can. Not only will this prevent a buildup of organics in your tank, but it will encourage the plants to try to create healthy new growth instead of trying to support dead and dying leaves.

There's still plenty of green, so they're not beyond saving.
Well that gives me some hope. I was removing the brown leaves at first but I figured if I am lacking nutrients then maybe letting the leaves decay in there would help. Do you think lack of macro nutrients are playing any role?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sappy said:
Well that gives me some hope. I was removing the brown leaves at first but I figured if I am lacking nutrients then maybe letting the leaves decay in there would help. Do you think lack of macro nutrients are playing any role?
Decaying leaves produce ammonia, which while plants readily utilize it (it is a form of nitrogen after all), so does algae. Nitrates are a form of nitrogen plants can utilize more easily than algae, so a good macro with nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate will really boost growth.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience you have to remove brown leaves regularily or the rot spreads. Often new leaves shove themselves over older ones, dipping them underwater, where they start to rot. I have to remove over a dozen single leaves a week to keep that from happening.

New Threads