Amazon biotope

1. SilverDollarCity909

SilverDollarCity909 New Member Member

I posted about this earlier, but I did some more research and this is what I came up with:

Plants:
    Dwarf Amazon Sword
    Brazilian Water Ivy
    Water Stargrass
    Mayaca vandelli
    Pygmy Chain Swordplant
    Red Amazon
    New Zealand grass plant
    Red copper leafed Alternanthera

Fish:
    Tetras
    Corydoras
    Guppies
    Hatchet fish
    Pencil fish
    Angelfish
    German blue rams, dwarf rams
    Bristlenose pleco
    Silver dollars

I really want the BN. Otherwise, it's still up for debate. Would sand or gravel be better? Which fish/plants would do best? Fert? Also, is there a specific type of filter I should use?
    Thanks in advance.

2. B

Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

It seems you accidently posted this thread a few times. Don't worry a mod will help you with that. Also are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? if you can fill out your profile to help us help you. What size tank are you planning for this?

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

A BN pleco is a good choice. Especially since they don't grow very big maybe like up to 5-6 inches. As for sand or gravel I would go with sand. I have sand in my 60 gallon and it gives it a nice neat natural look. The plants on the other hand I've never kept those kid of plants so I really can't tell you. Fertilizers are good for the plants so I think you should use them since you have a big tank I think you should use dry ferts since they are cheaper and more effective than liquid ferts in the long run. The fish stock is okay but I'm worried about the silver dollars. They get big around 7-8 inches and need a school of 4-5 so they need a bigger tank. As for the filter it depends if you want a HOB or a Canister Filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    SilverDollarCity909

I dont want all the plants and fish on the list. I was hoping to get some insight on which ones would work best.
    Thank you for the info.

5. OP
    OP
    SilverDollarCity909

It's a 75 gallon tank. And I know about the nitrogen cycle.

6. AquaticBrandon

Okay, well IMO I would put a school of neons. A school of corydoras, a pair of german blue rams, a pair of angelfish. A few guppies( be aware that they breed like crazy so I suggest only males) a school of hatchet fish. You can also add maybe another school of other fish. I would go with rummynose tetras or black skirt tetras.

7. OP
    OP
    SilverDollarCity909

Would the Angelfish nip the black skirt's fins?

8. AquaticBrandon

I'm not sure. But if you don't want to risk it you can try cardinals or glow light tetras

9. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Uh no, more likely the tetras will nip at the angelfish. FYI guppies are not likely natives of the Amazon basin. They tend to be found in harder water. If you want a true Amazon biotope, you'll want to do a lot of research on the fish you plan to include to make sure they are found there. Mongabay is a great place to start, so I'd check out the following links for information on fish and plants found in the area you're looking at.

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_stream_peru.html
    http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_oxbow_peru.htm
    http://news.mongabay.com/2005/1127-biotope.html

10. OP
    OP
    SilverDollarCity909

11. Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Fin nipping is what the tetras would do to the angelfish; eating is what the angelfish would do to smaller fish. Neons, for example, are not recommended as they are food-sized for adult angelfish. The larger-bodied tetras (like black skirt or rummynose or even cardinal tetras, I believe) are recommended when keeping with angels.

12. OP
    OP
    SilverDollarCity909

Thank you for clarifying. Angels are beautiful but honestly I've heard their genes are pretty weak.

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Don't think that's totally true, but they are social fish and should be kept in in a group of at least 6 ones. In fact an Amazon-biotop doesn't exist being sooo different "around every corner". Some fish would never "meet" in the wild. But it's great to have an SA-tank.
    Corys defo, BN defo, have a look for Keyhole Cichlids, rummynoses are great in a shoal indeed. Anxious to see pics !!!

14. OP
    OP
    SilverDollarCity909

Thank you. ^^ Do you have any advice on the plants?

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Swords (several species) are great. And wood.
    Some pics of one of my tanks (not only SA-plants !!) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406667402.022026.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406667431.531184.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406667462.303789.jpg