Amazon Biotope

1. Fishboy123 Member Member

I have a 29 gallon cube about 20x20 and I would like to create an amazon river Biotope. I would like a centerpiece fish and some plants as well. Does anyone know of any native fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    Some fish I found that live in the amazon:
    Amazon leaf fish
    Amazon puffer
    Serpae tetras
    Plecostomus (not really sure most sites just say South America...)
    Bleeding heart tetra
    Lemon tetra
    Rummy nose tetra (certain species live in different areas of the Amazon)

Hope this helps and good luck with your biotope!

3. Fishboy123 Member Member

Thanks!

4. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I have a serpae tank, and if you get a good sized group of them, they're fun to watch! Just if you get them get a good sized group so they don't nip at other fish:)
    A puffer would be cool..

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Amazonian dwarf cichlids are what I'd do. I briefly considered getting a single a. borellii for a biotope tank I'm building, but had to opt out as it's also a breeding tank and he'd eat the fry lol. A trio of them, 1m:2f would look nice as a centerpiece group, with schooling fish around the top and perhaps corydoras species as bottom feeders. You could also do a smaller species pleco in that tank, just look up the species that interest you on Planet Catfish and it'll give you all the known wild collection areas.

7. Fishboy123 Member Member

Thanks guys but does an amazon tank have to be planted!

8. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    Your Amazon biotope doesn't have to be planted! I've seen pictures of tanks with just driftwood in it and they look very nice. Just search "Amazon biotope" and you should get a few pictures of them. I think they do black water for the biotope? Not quite sure, but it looks like it.

9. Fishboy123 Member Member

Yea! I have seen a lot of images of black water biotopes with just driftwood and maybe a couple plants or none!

10. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Keep us posted Fishboy123! I would love to see your finished tank and the steps it takes!

11. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Fishboy123

I second this! ;) Hope everything goes as Planned.

12. Fishboy123 Member Member

I might be doing a shell dweller tank too nevertheless I'll keep everybody posted on either tank I do!

13. echi1 Well Known Member Member

14. Fishboy123 Member Member

That is an absolutely beautiful tank! I love it! What species are in there?

15. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Mine isn't as cool as echis, but here's mine!!
    [​IMG]

16. echi1 Well Known Member Member

The tank isn't mine, but I thought you might want to see it so you can get a look at one! Emmynk your tank is very cool. I would love a shell dwelling cichlid tank. Not sure on the species though maybe a dwarf shell dweller?

17. Fishboy123 Member Member

Emmynk your tank is lovely! I love how the rocks contrast with the shells

18. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys! :) echi, most of these guys stay really small. This tank is a mix of shell dwellers and cave dwellers. They are fascinating to watch. But if I had a species only tank, I would go with my sunspot brevis. They're awesome. [​IMG][​IMG]

Neolamprologus multi. Are another great option, because a colony can be kept in a 10 gallon. I don't have any of those.

Then there are my cave dwelling cichlids.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Leleupi
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    j. Gombi
    [​IMG]
    my dickfeldi

19. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Wow! They are amazing! I love your fish! What size tank is that? I'm going to have to get some now.

20. emmynk Well Known Member Member

20h! Bigger would be better but this is working well. No aggression :) they're kind of hard to get your hands on. My LFS shop was able to special order them for me.