Amazing Guppy Fry.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Lakemontfishlover, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Lakemontfishlover

Lakemontfishlover Valued Member Member

I had two females that had fry about a week apart. I figured I had about 40 total. As I watched my babies grow there didn’t seem to be as many and I thought maybe they just died. Tonight I broke down my filters and there was about 15 of my missing babies. They were small because they were surviving in about 1/4 inch at bottom of filter, but swimming like little troopers. I was shocked, so I will now forever check the filters.

2. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

This is why most people put a sponge over their filter intake when dealing with fry. It's cool they were still alive though.

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

4. OP
    OP
    Lakemontfishlover

Thank you, what kind of sponge, first babies for me.

5. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

What type of filter are you using?

6. OP
    OP
    Lakemontfishlover

Fluval Filter

7. Brannor

hehe. Ok, I see from your other thread that you've got the Aqua Clear Fluval HOB.

You might be able to use something like this:

(others might know of a specific one for your size Hob).

But check the size of your intake pipe, and the size of the sponge.

-G

8. jennlovie

jennlovie New Member Member

i have learned to check the filter daily on my guppy tank, the fry really are so tiny yet so mighty! lol

you can also find sponge filters on amazon for cheap, all you need to run them is a air pump

9. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

You could probably even take a spare sponge that goes in the actual Aquaclear filter, cut a slit in it, and put over your intake. I've also stretched a piece of pantyhose over intakes before to protect fish.

10. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I thought that i had an escapee b.maculatus colony until it came for my yearly fiter clean.... 10 happy boraras chilling in the canister... LOL from them on, I will always check my nano canister more regularly after that....

11. Brannor

Hmm... I wonder if we have shrimp living in my wife's in-tank filter...now that I think about not seeing some of her RCS for a while...

-G

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice