Amazing gold algae eaters!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Nancyhl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. NancyhlValued MemberMember

A few days ago I got a some gold algae eaters that I put in my guppy tank while they grow enough to put them in my 100g thank, and I cannot tell you how happy I am with them. These are some good hard working fish, or they r so hungry, they have cleaned all my rocks. I have a planted tank so I never mess with the rocks when I change the water. Am very happy with them!

2. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

That is great.

I like the plants and rocks, reminds me of lake bed.

3. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Thanks. :)

4. fishlover123456New MemberMember

i love your video i have a couple of those two great job

5. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Thank you. ;)

6. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

Nice fish! the few i had ended up being nasty and super aggressive

7. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Hate to be the bringer of bad news and all but those are just CAE, these are the gold variety that walmart loves to sell. They are not really algae eaters either, only when they are young. Once they get 3-4" they start eating more meat and also the slime coat of other fishes. They generally suck at being a community fish and get rather large, tend to be aggressive with each other and wholly stop eating algae all together when they are adults. You could keep 1 in the 100gal, it is big enough i believe, but it won't be very safe for the other fish.

8. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Oh no, really? I bought these at petsmart the girl didn't say anything about any of that, and I did tell her I wanted them for my 100g tank. Would he be a problem to my Dempseys and gar? They r big boys!

9. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Do these golds have a little peach/pink in them as well?

10. MuseyWell Known MemberMember

I second what soltarianknight said. These guys, don't eat a lot of algae (especially as they get older), become super aggressive with other fish as they get bigger, and they can get VERY large... like a foot long. When I set up my first tank long ago, I made the mistake of buying one of these too. And the pet store clerk just nodded and smiled and said it would be great in my 20 gallon community tank! NOT!!!

EDIT TO ADD: If I where you, I would bag these little guys up and take them right back to the store in the morning to get my money back. If you want algae eaters, I highly recommend a small school of Otocinclus. They are peaceful, hard workers, don't get huge, and are fun to watch. With Otos, you should have at least 4 in a group (because they are social) and your tank needs to be very well established (fully cycled) as they are somewhat sensitive fish. Best to get Otos after your tank has been running for about 4+ months with no problems.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. NancyhlValued MemberMember

I have not noticed any other color than the gold and white bottom.

12. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Oh no that sucks, cause I really love them they have done such a wonderful job. I did read about them before I bouth them, but probably I went to the wrong place cause the description about them was that besides being excellent algae eaters they look great in the tank. It said to have a planted tank, to have rocks and drift wood which I have all so I thought perfect fit. And then they clean my tank so nicely I've had otos but they didn't do anything to my tank. I have even bought shrimp and nothing; I needed them to get at least a foot big cause once they get bigger I wanted to transfer them to my 100g tank with my African cichlids, my Dempseys and my gar. I wanted algae eater that will grow big cause my gar is currently 19" and I didn't want them to be eaten by him. I could have gotten plecos, but they said they will eat my plants. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, AM HEART BROKEN SOME SAY THEY R WOMDERFUL AND SOME SAY THEY R A NIGHTMARE! And right now am very happy with them! :(

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  13. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I had one for 3 years until he killed some of my fish and I gave him to the LFS. He is still there today, about 7" long in a 100gal tank. Your gar needs a bigger tank anyways so I wouldn't be putting anything in the tank with it right now. Plecos DO NOT eat plants at all. None of them do. They like veggies but thats it. Clown and BN plecos eat a good deal of algae and stay fairly small.

14. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Everybody has been telling me that the plecos will eat my plants n that's d reason I don't get them. I do need them to get big enough to hang out with my gar n b safe. Am getting a 200g now for my gar, so I still need some big good algae eaters.

15. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Not many of the larger species of Pleco will eat much algae when they get full grown. I doubt the gar would bother much with a rubber lip though, I just can't picture a Gar bothering with a pleco. Plecos do not eat plants. I have never heard or seen them do this.

16. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Thanks, I will look for the right fit then.

17. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I would suggest that you have thick leaved plants such as Anubias when it comes to stocking Pleco's, especially a Bristle Nose Pleco. I've had issues with my BN Pleco and the Wisteria plants, for some reason she loves to munch on them or either they break off and float around the tank. I removed the Wisteria.

Too, when a Pleco is foraging for food/algae and they skim over leaves, part of the leaf may be damaged although it may not be eaten. The leaf can be thinned by the Pleco's grazing. A very thin layer of the leaf can be removed and when this happens to a thin leaved plant, there isn't much left.

Too, I believe Ryanr has had the same issues.

All of my Anubias are doing great, blooming, and I also have a BN Pleco in the same tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist48/136271-blooming-anubia-plant-photos.html

Ken

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  18. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Ok thanks I'll do that, I just hope my Dempsey is not going to mess with it, it seams he doesn't like plants he always messes with them.

19. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi,
    Yes, I've had my BNP's destroy Hygrophillia Balsamica, Riccia and any other thin stemmed plants I've tried. Broad leafed plants are best IME. Even my swords have suffered a little.

20. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

If you are keeping him with cichlids Plants shouldn't be an issue since a lot of cichlids tear them up anyways. I never had an issue with my plecos eating or damaging the plants but mine never really skimmed them over since i didn't have much algae, I just keep them happy with veggies and wafers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice