Amazing Discus Story

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So my dad ordered discus fish online and we got them yesterday and they all arrived alive except one that was lying on it's back but it's mouth was still moving so it was alive but it looked like it wasn't going to make it. So I go in to check on the poor thing and it wasn't in the tank with the other discus! So I asked my dad where it was and he said he put in the fridge, so I run downstairs and sure enough it was in a plastic bag in the fridge, but it's mouth was still moving! So I run upstairs and put it in the water right away and it sinks to the bottom, but it was still alive. A few hours later it started swimming around! But it was bumping into things and sinking, but the next day it was eating and swimming around with no trouble! It was in the fridge for 7 min and it is still alive!!! So we decided to name him Phoenix after the bird that always comes back to life in Harry Potter lol. He sure is a tough discus.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

An amazing save there! Best wishes for the new fish. I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.

Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great save. Who said discus were extremely sensitive

oh, and I gotta ask, why did your dad put it in the fridge, what was he trying to do/achieve ???

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice.

Sometimes fridges and freezers help keep them alive for a while. Its hard to believe, but being cold slows down everything and they will stay moist in there so they can still breathe to an extent. My brother put a presumed dead molly in the freezer for a couple days before, took it out and put it in water and it started swimming.

Its much like a hibernation. Same reason fish can survive tough winters in frozen ponds and lakes. Being a tropical species though it does have limits, but its possible for a short time.

And no, you shouldn't go a put your fish in the freezer to try this, for anyone who was thinking about it.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My dad put the discus in the fridge because he wanted to take a pic and send it to the place we got it from so he could get his money back because all the discus have a 48 hour warranty

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Slug - I thought that might be the case, or something similar (i.e. slow the metabolism)

Lauren - wasn't trying to be nosey, just curious

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My dad put the discus in the fridge because he wanted to take a pic and send it to the place we got it from so he could get his money back because all the discus have a 48 hour warranty
I wonder though do you have to send the fish back as well or just the picture? because people could get the fishes heart to slow down using this method and take a pic and get some or part of their money back and rip them off. Then the cost per discus would o up for the rest ofus??

Last edited by a moderator:

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You just send the pic of the fish not the actual fish. Then you get credit for however much the fish was and you can buy another fish with the credit but you have to pay shipping which costs more then the actual fish. We got a deal of 5 discus for $125 so each one is $25 and shipping is $80-100. So someone could get the discus heart to beat slower so it appears dead but then they would have pay shipping and the warranty is only 48 hours

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh I see so its not realy worth it then, unless you had several that died on you? As far as the warenty goes if you have to pay for the shipping you are just better off going to like that fishplace and buying one your self if the shipping charges are that much why bother going thru all that unless of course you do not have a place locally to buy discus then I can see doing it.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah we can buy discus locally but they are $125 per fish :jawdrop: so it is cheaper getting them over the internet and all the discus we got were alive well except for Phoenix but he is doing great now

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great job on the save. and Discus are high dollar here too and are not really that nice of a fish. Online is the way to go here also.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm it would be nice if they were not so expensive but maybe its a good thing they are otherwise you would have people buying them for their children and not really taking good care of them like they need to be spend 100$ on one fish and I am certain your going to be taking very good care of it.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good save!

I suppose it could be said for any fish, that is bought by an unsuitable owner for a kid...

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i only by from a breeder that i no now they are helthy fish and off good qulity. i get them at about 4cm and grow them in an 80L tank its the way 2 go i love watching my babys grow and become more youst to you being there i dont think i will eva buy a full size discus from a store unless it was really stinning.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom