Amazing Betta

1. nissan4life Member Member

I went to Petco last night for some NovAqua and filters, and saw the most amaaaazing Betta I have ever seen. He was the brightest metallic turquoise with a striking deep navy (almost black) dorsal stripe and caudal stripe to the tip of his mouth, the lower stripe widening across his entire "chin" like a goatee. I was just stunned haha I want him! But I first have to get the tank ready before I do anything. I planned on moving everything from the 5G to the 10G now that everything is cycled and clear, plus it's way too small for the two danios and one *tiny tiny* cory. I plan on putting them in the big tank once I bring it home (CAN'T wait!). For now I will settle for the 20G since I already have the stand for it, but eventually I want this 29 or 37G setup (can't remember which at the moment). It has the most beautiful wooden stand and complete costs about $200. Just waiting on the ol' tax return to come in :D

2. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Pics or it didn't happen lol

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like stress stripes. To my knowledge there is no true striped betta.

4. nissan4life Member Member

LOL I thought about taking a pic with my cell, wish I had but it was so late and I was crashing hard.

Stress stripes?? I hope not :( And it was so beautiful. I've seen long goldfish with stripes like that, just down the back. I hope to get him tonight, maybe even on the way home. I have to!

5. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ahem, turquoise like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then with a break in the dragon scales like such
    [​IMG]

The black gotee is common in this color dragons as their under color is typicaly black :). The break/stripe is also fairly common but desired aswell by some, including me. As you can see my boy(top pic) doesnt have the stripe.

6. nissan4life Member Member

Similar, yes...but the stripes were DARK and velvety, amazing contrast. I want it! I hope it's still there so I can take some pics...and snatch him up. I HOPE it's not stress :(

7. nissan4life Member Member

So excited! Just bought a 20G full kit at Petco priced at $108, $30 off with the Pals card :D AND they still had the Betta! I snatched him up. Batteries are charging for my camera; hoping to get some vid of him since I don't think pics will do any justice. I still have to go back and get more plants, driftwood, etc, but I want to take my time with that; decorating is half the fun :D

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Did you pick up any TSS or do you have cycled filter media to use?

9. nissan4life Member Member

I have a cycled tank that I'm transferring completely from one tank to another, gravel and all. I hope that's adequate? It's the entire contents of a 5G going into a 20G, with only two danios and a tiny cory. If not, I can set up the 20 and seed it from the 5 and wait...what do you advise?

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of danios? danios with bettas is usually a bad idea because the danios can be very nippy. I would at least fill their school out.

As long as you're transferring the filter media and rocks from the 5 I would think you're ok. You aren't increasing your bioload too much.

11. nissan4life Member Member

Oh I forgot, I wanted to get the Betta into the 5G. Hopefully there's enough bacteria on the filter, or I can retain some of the gravel ( I have the substrate quite deep for landscaping and plants). The danios are pearl (Danio albolineatus).

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

the danios still need a school of around 7-8 but the 5gal should suffice for the betta and the 20 for the other fish. Just move all the 5gal stuff into the 20, add all the fish including the betta. Just put the 5gal filter right into the 20 and then add a second filter rated for 20gals on to it, the bacteria will spread to it. Be sure to have the 20 properly heated.

13. nissan4life Member Member

Thanks :) Yeah, my danios worked hard for me, I think they deserve to move up in the world. How long do you think I should wait to add the rest of the danios? Even though I'm moving everything over (even the water lol), I don't want to overload it before the bacteria can handle the size change...

I think since I'm going back to the store tomorrow, I'll grab the TSS. I tried to buy it for the 5 a couple of weeks back, but the employee at Petco wouldn't let me get it. He said my tank was cycled and I should get this other stuff called Special Blend Microbe-Lift. I really wanted to get the TSS after reading about it on here :/

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

If your 5gal is cycled and your transfering its contents to the 20gal then the 20gal should be cycled enough to withstand the danio, cory and the addition of the betta. Be sure to add the 20gal filter aswell so that there is room for bacteria to grow. Wait a few weeks and then slowly up the danio school.

15. nissan4life Member Member

Sure thing :) I'm rinsing new gravel to cover the bottom. I little freaked about filling this thing up LOL I just stood next to it and it's almost up to my shoulder/chest :eek: 20 gallons on my landlord's floor...better level it just right :p

And thanks! :D

16. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

WHERE ARE THE PICS i want to see, asess and give this fish a full grade and look over :D

17. nissan4life Member Member

LOL!! I'm taking pics slowly...beating the clock. My poor fishies are in a big cooler, heat and air pump going but no filter :( I want to get them in soon.

18. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

20 gallon is only 200lbs. That's not bad on the floor.

19. nissan4life Member Member

It is if it falls over :p

20. nissan4life Member Member