Amazing Amano Planted Tank

1. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Just sharing a video I stumbled upon. Takashi Amano replanting one of his tanks as part of a seminar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKipBOurpBo

Always heard to not have gravel more than a couple of inches deep. But something tells me that may not be true. Just look at the before picture at the beginning of the video!

2. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

thats amazing! someone has had some practice ;)

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I sit and watch him work like that and realize, he doesn't even pause to think about where he is putting the plants, he just knows.

What I want to know thou id how did he fill that tank and not disturb EVERYTHING he just planted lol.

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

He waits weeks to fill, making sure roots are well established. I use a glass jar and fill very slowly, works great.
    Thanks for sharing. Notice he had 6 helpers to get that done. I wonder how much money a tank like that costs.

5. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Have any of you or know of any one that has used his dirt that he sells?

6. escapay Well Known Member Member

That is just amazing indeed! I would love to have something like that... but I won't be able to upgrade lights to do that...

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I have been considering using this soil in a smaller tank. It is far too expensive for me to set up a large tank!

8. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Do you know if he uses any ferts? Those plants grew fast! The tank looks incredible.

9. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, in the soil. ADA uses soil w/ many different products mixed in for those lush plants. There's a whole line of products for sale from ADA.

10. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I'll have to look into that. His plants grew super fast, but I get the feeling it's very expensive in large quantities.

11. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

It's pretty expensive even in small quantities. It is designer plant care equipment. Definitely quality stuff, though.

12. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I thought so (sigh). I also heard it won't stop making the water cloudy if it is hard, and I think mine is pretty hard, which stinks for me.

13. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I doubt Amano-sama uses anything other than RO water treated with a precise amount of minerals.
    The other thing to remember about the stuff that he uses is that it is meant to be relatively short-term. Most of his tanks are designed for a single moment in time: A convention, a photo shoot, something of the sort. He times it so that the plants will have grown the right amount by that moment. Once it's done, he reworks the tank. This doesn't mean that it's not useful for planting long-term tanks, but sometimes there are better (and cheaper) options.

14. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

for a similar look.. fluval plant stratum is good. I mean not for large tanks, unless you can spend a lot. i like amano...but they are almost too manicured for me

-j

15. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I tend to think otherwise considering the photo dates at the end.