Amateur feeding question

Thomas260

Hello guys,

It has been 3 weeks since I introduced fish in my cycled tank. My local fish store suggested me to be feeding the fish once every 2 days. He said that this will be just for now. I have tested my water parameters today and everything is fine. Shall I keep feeding them once every two days or shall I now begin feeding them everyday? And also, if yes, shall I feed them once or twice per day and skip one day within the week?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate anyone that will help

AggressiveAquatics

What fish do you have? Some needs to be fed multiple times a day and some need to be fed once a day

Upvote 0

ForceTen

I feed once a day.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I think the guy meant well and he was trying to help you not overfeed while your cycle is fragile. Since you’ve been feeding every second day, you could start feeding everyday for two days, then break for 1 day, then start again. Just for a few weeks, until your cycle adjusts to the poop increase. Then feed once a day and skip one day of the week if you want. I like to skip Sunday.

That’s the cautious approach. You could also just start feeding every day.

Just don’t feed for 2 minutes like it says in some food instructions. That’s way too much. Fish always look like they are starving but they’re not. A healthy fish can go days without eating and he’ll be fine. The stomach of a fish is about the size of one of it’s eyes. So that’s very little.

A lot of people tend to overfeed. It’s a really bad habit that will cause all sorts of problems in your tank, including disease.

Upvote 0

Thomas260

I think the guy meant well and he was trying to help you not overfeed while your cycle is fragile. Since you’ve been feeding every second day, you could start feeding everyday for two days, then break for 1 day, then start again. Just for a few weeks, until your cycle adjusts to the poop increase. Then feed once a day and skip one day of the week if you want. I like to skip Sunday.

That’s the cautious approach. You could also just start feeding every day.

Just don’t feed for 2 minutes like it says in some food instructions. That’s way too much. Fish always look like they are starving but they’re not. A healthy fish can go days without eating and he’ll be fine. The stomach of a fish is about the size of one of it’s eyes. So that’s very little.

A lot of people tend to overfeed. It’s a really bad habit that will cause all sorts of problems in your tank, including disease.
Thank you so much! This is super helpful. I will probably begin feeding two days and then skip one for a bit, so the change also goes slowly in the tank and then begin feeding them everyday and skipping one within the week!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Hand feeding fish?
Replies
Views
cloverpile
  • Question
Replies