Amano shrimp? 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by trailblazer295, Mar 25, 2010.

1. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

I have a 5.5G with 5 bloodfin tetra, can I add amano shrimp to this tank? If so how many?

2. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

5 bloodfins in a 5.5g is probably a little overstocked already since they can grow to be pretty large as far as tetras go.

That being said, shrimp have a pretty low bioload and don't seem to mind being a little crowded as long as food is plentiful. I have about 50 cherry shrimp in a 5g, but with Amano shrimp growing a bit bigger than cherries I probably wouldn't go that high. Definitely wouldn't add many to the 5.5g as it is. Assuming you're doing lots of maintenance to keep the water quality at acceptable levels, I'd say 5, maybe 10 max.

Someone with first-hand experience with Amano shrimp might have some more specific advice.

3. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would have to say no. In a 5G the tetras don't even have room to swim around as a shoal properly, having to turn around every few inches. I would recommend atleast a 10G for 5 bloodfins and for that reason I would have to say definitly no to shrimp.

4. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Yep, agree with Ben that it won't be the best idea to add Amano shrimp. I have 3 in my 10 gallon, and I'm currently running an algae farm to provide them with proper food. They just don't eat algae wafers.

5. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

My 5g was my first tank, but I ran into the same issue of wanting more fish but having no room. You could always get a 10g (dare I say 20g? :) ) for the tetras and turn the 5.5g into a shrimp-only species tank. More interesting for you, better for the fish.

6. OP
    OP
    t

The 5.5 is a bedroom tank so 10 or 20g aren't in the cards. I am setting up a 30g that I'm cycling now, I may put the 5blood fins in my 30 and add some more to build the shoal up.

7. OP
    OP
    t

I've made the call to move my bloodfins over to my 30g along with the filter for a few weeks and will eventually put a betta in the 5.5g once the my ac70 is ready.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice