Amano Shrimp

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 2 Amano shrimp with this whitish color. I know it usually means death but what is the longest you've had them survive for with this issue? I would also like to know if it's possible they are molting (I'm new to shrimp owning). I had a few that turned white when I got them but they died earlier. I discovered the old flakes I had had copper in the ingredients so I believe when they found little bits left on my sponge filters they ate the pieces making them sick. The third picture is what most of my Amano shrimp look like.

Here's a better image of one of the healthy ones.

Attachments

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had an issue in January in one of my neo tanks that has several Amano shrimp. One got cloudy, quite cloudy actually and a perfect example of all the photos you see online of bacterial issues or muscular necrosis. It's May..?.. Aaaannnnndddd my neos have completely recovered and the one Amano is still a bit cloudy but molts and manages just fine. It seems to be very slowly improving. But 5 months, I don't worry about losing her anymore lol

itsEmma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Spike, I've kept Amanos for a few years, I'm no expert, but at least can share my experience which I hope might help.
Firstly, from what I've read, I don't think that the traces of copper in food would make them sick. A few shrimp foods have minute quantities of copper added, good for the blood, I think. Copper as a problem comes from copper pipes and medicines, I think.
So, to this cloudynness, I'll start with the positive, I've noticed that the day before my Amanos molt, they do go a bit opaque. Next day, I spot the molt (which is sort of cloudy) and the Amanos is back to its normal clear colour.
Regarding the sadder possibility, as you said, Amanos (and ghost shrimp) do go cloudy when they're sick. I've only ever had this when I've just bought them and, I presume, it's the stress of the move. This has usually been a pretty swift journey from cloudy to dead. Pretty much overnight.
How long have yours been cloudy?
I agree with what sfsamm has just said, it could also be a bacterial infection. Obviously medicine (=copper!) is a problem for shrimps. Indian Almond Leaves are a natural source of antibiotics and loved by virtually everyone that keeps shrimps. Definitely worth getting some!

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I may have been the travel then as you stated as that's near when I lost the few and after some research I may have added them too fast. The 2 that are cloudy seem to be doing well and I'll look into the almond leaves. Do I just drop the leaf into the water and will it affect my fish? Thanks for the help and hope they're able to live out most of their life span.

itsEmma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi again, if it was stress from the acclimatisation, then, they might yet recover, fingers crossed. Regarding the IALs, yes you just drop a leaf or two into the water. If you Google them, you'll see a few brands come up (very cheap!) Most say they've been steam cleaned or similar. The shrimp love them and as they're natural, I can see them harming the fish-probably best to just ask the question though on the relevant forum just to check!
I think they're meant to lower the ph a bit, but, probably that'd only be if you put a whole handful in. The leaves slowly decay and the shrimp strip them down to the stem/vein bits-they LOVE them!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've yet to find a fish bothered by IAL or any leaf litter that's aquarium safe for that matter when used as described above. I don't ever remove any leaf litter from any tank shrimp or fish. Adding a couple won't do anything but help your Amano.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, I don't know any stores near me that have it so I may have to order it online, hopefully my shrimp will hold out till then.

Ordered the leaves off of Amazon, expect them by Tuesday or Wednesday. I prefer my tank clear and I read these stain the water a browner hint. Would boiling leave the healing properties but remove the tannins? I'll probably boil them once just to be safe.

itsEmma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the delay, I've been busy cleaning!
Personally I've never noticed any staining of the water from the leaves. Maybe because I only ever have a few I'm my tanks. I think you'd have to put a great deal in to noticeably colour the water. I'm not sure if boiling would remove the tannins, it certainly does for Cholla wood, so perhaps, yes. Not sure about boiling removing the 'goodness' of the leaves as I've only ever just dropped them straight in!
You could always ask the IAL leaf questions on the Cherry shrimp Forum as they're very popular with Cherries-that's where I first discovered and learnt all about them!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The only staining I ever noticed is when I drain to a bucket and it's slightly yellow in the white bucket. I do not notice it in my tanks at all when it's just an Almond leaf or two.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t know if this helps, but my ghost shrimp always seem to turn a cloudy color before they pass. Once they are actually dead, then they are completely white. I don’t know if it is the same case with Amanos though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom