Amano shrimp vs red cherry shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by SilverMIssy, Jul 27, 2015.

1. SilverMIssy

SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

I'm interest to see people's opinions. If you had to pick between the two, which one would you prefer and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

I really like my red cherry shrimp as they are brightly colored and breed easily. They eat some algae, perhaps not quite as much as Amano's though.

3. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

I prefer cherries over amanos.

They're far more colorful. The amanos will eat more algae (although they'll just as happily eat other foods as well) but I always feel you're better off controlling the root causes of algae rather than relying on livestock to control it.

Plus once you get a group of cherries breeding you'll always have some. Amanos are much more difficult to breed as they hatch into a larval form that requires brackish water to survive.

4. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Will them breeding make my 10g water levels go all weird too quickly? I only have 1 betta so the bio load is pretty low. I can always sell the shrimp I don't need but I don't want my tank to recycle like crazy because they had too many fry.

5. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

Shouldn't be an issue at all. An adult shrimp has an extremely low bio load as it is let alone the babies. Your tank will have more than enough time to adjust to their presence.

However if they're going in with a betta you'll have even less to worry about with babies as he'll likely eat them all.

6. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

So the LFS sells 10 cherries for 3$ or they're 6$ each. How many can you add without starting a mini cycle?

7. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Shrimp have such a small bio load you could easily at 10 at a time. Possibly more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice