Amano shrimp vanished

Brolli

Member
Hello there
I have/had three Amano shrimp, some days ago they vanished, and are nowhere in sight. Some background on these three : they were among the first inhabitants of my tank (circa 90 gallons), have always been incredibly active and in sight, in many cases in the early tank when fish died off they survived, when I tried out a heat treatment for Ich they survived, and overall they seemed to thrive, and everything pointed to them being very hardy, at least more hardy than any fish I've kept. But suddenly now they are gone. The tank is very lush and heavily planted so perhaps they are in hiding but due to their large size I would presume thst I could be able to find them. I personally think they are dead, they've really never gone into hiding, even after molting, and I've never gone a day without seeing them. But even then I think it's incredibly strange that all three vanished at the same time... I have a bunch of other shrimp species in the tank. Mostly neocaridinias, who I think to my best knowledge are thriving as I'm always spotting new shrimplets. I also had three caridinias (crystal red) but as of now I only spot one, perhaps the other two are hiding (or maybe dead). Aren't all these tiny shrimp species much more sensitive than Amanos? So if the Amanos died(and all three at the same time, which is quite strange) why aren't the other shrimp dying? Are Amanos sensitive to something the other shrimp aren't? I haven't found any bodies though, but that's to be expected, as the shrimp and snails are quick to get rid of them (I only find fish bones if there is a fish death, stripped clean in no time).
I would really appreciate any opinions on this, I'm pretty bummed out as the Amanos were some of my favorite inhabitants.
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
I’ll be watching this. My amano also just vanished I got like 2 days ago. Hopefully he’s just hiding in all my plants
 

TheFISH12

Member
Do you have a lid? Apparently they can be jumpers.
 

wishuponafish

Member
I've had amanos climb out and plop into other tanks, and unfortunately found one dried up under the couch
 

jmaldo

Member
Hopefully, they are hiding. A few years back I had a couple in a 55 Planted. I added some Angels and they disappeared thought they became snacks.. Lo and Behold found them after 4 months during a water change hiding on the intake tube.

Good Luck!
 
  • Thread Starter

Brolli

Member
I have a lid and there is a small opening where the airstone and heater enter into the tank, it is possible they exited the tank from there. I haven't found any dried up shrimp but I have two cats so if that's the case I think it's possible they would have found them and eaten.
 

ferg42995

Member
Brolli said:
I have a lid and there is a small opening where the airstone and heater enter into the tank, it is possible they exited the tank from there. I haven't found any dried up shrimp but I have two cats so if that's the case I think it's possible they would have found them and eaten.
I taped some saran wrap over the hole where the tubes and cords come out of my tank, just in case. You might try that for any future escape attempts.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brolli

Member
ferg42995 said:
I taped some saran wrap over the hole where the tubes and cords come out of my tank, just in case. You might try that for any future escape attempts.
While we are talking about a possible death by cat are amano shrimps safe to eat? Thinking about the health of my feline companions.
 

Fishfriendof315

Member
If you haven't found bodies they're just hiding. My bamboos do it all the time. Be out in open easily spotted then for a week can't find em, then HELLO!
 
  • Thread Starter

Brolli

Member
Fishfriendof315 said:
If you haven't found bodies they're just hiding. My bamboos do it all the time. Be out in open easily spotted then for a week can't find em, then HELLO!
I really hope you're right. But isn't it possible that the other shrimp species and snails would have just devoured their bodies? Also wondering do they have any form of communication? Cause I find it quite funny that they'd all decide to go hide together at the same time.
 

Fishfriendof315

Member
I don't think they would have until they started to rot, then you would have had a cluster over the carcasses. Also everything has some sort of communication so why not. But I noticed my ghost shrimp tend to hide all at once when my puffer goes to the bottom searching. Even when they're not near each other
 
  • Thread Starter

Brolli

Member
Fishfriendof315 said:
I don't think they would have until they started to rot, then you would have had a cluster over the carcasses. Also everything has some sort of communication so why not. But I noticed my ghost shrimp tend to hide all at once when my puffer goes to the bottom searching. Even when they're not near each other
Hmmm I guess you're right. It's just funny the other day I found a completely stripped neon tetra skeleton on the bottom, I had never noticed the body. They were rather quick with it, but the Amanos are much larger so I guess I'd have probably seen a pile of them feasting. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, hopefully they'll reappear soon.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom