Amano Shrimp Spawned In Freshwater?!

arvind2205

Ok, I know all literature says the larvae can't survive in freshwater, but I think I might have done it, somehow. I thought I saw a baby amano 2 days ago but couldn't get a good luck, so I thought it might be one of the cherries I mistook for a small amano in the light. But last night I tried again and for sure I saw not one but several small, amano shrimp!

- No plants or shrimp have been added to the tank in 3 months
- All plants were purchased from petco where they don't have plants with any other fish or snails, and they don't even sell amano shrimp at mine
- My 2 amanos I got over 6 months ago are one male and one female, who has been carrying eggs for the last 4-5 months

Is this possible? I don't have just the one but several little amano shrimp. I'm quite sure the shrimp I have aren't ghost shrimp, they were purchased from an ADA store and look and have the size exactly of amano shrimp.

TexasDomer

They need brackish water to survive, so it's really nearly impossible that they're Amanos. Likely colorless cherry shrimp.

arvind2205

I know this is a bad pic, but TexasDomer does this look like a cherry or amano? I'm not sure anymore...the cherries I bought are all black or red, these seem to be at adult size for a cherry yet colorless..

Attachments

• P_20170925_225942_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20170925_225942_vHDR_On.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 64

TexasDomer

Mixing colors in cherry will result in wild type (gray/brown) offspring.

I can't tell from that pic.

arvind2205

Bummer Looks like the black and red cherries did that then. How embarrassing, silly question! Thanks

TexasDomer

No need to be embarrassed! I wish Amanos were more easy to breed.

Kimara

So this means my red and my yellow cherries won't breed to make orange ones? That's really sad. I was really hoping...

TexasDomer

So this means my red and my yellow cherries won't breed to make orange ones? That's really sad. I was really hoping...

Unfortunately not!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Shrimpee
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
brydenAndrew9