Amano Shrimp "pregnant"

ada6991
So...
I was looking at my fishies today and I have 9 Amano shrimp and I noticed one of them has eggs under her belly in the swimming legs things (not sure what they called).

What should I do?

I heard its hard to take care of the baby shrimplets and I'm going on holidays in a month so it would be hard to take care of them.

If they will hatch I might be able to give them away so they're taken care of.

But what do I do now do I separate the shrimp or do I leave it in with other tankmates?
If I leave it and the babies will hatch how do I separate them?
What do I do when they hatch? I heard they have to be in brackish water how do I do that?
How can I prevent them from being eaten?
How long will it take before they hatch?

That's the main points I think at least until or if they hatch..

EbiAqua
Unfortunately Amanos are low order breeding shrimp, meaning their babies go through several larval stages. They also need brackish/salt water to complete their life cycle and any larvae will not survive in fresh.

ada6991
Unfortunately Amanos are low order breeding shrimp, meaning their babies go through several larval stages. They also need brackish/salt water to complete their life cycle and any larvae will not survive in fresh.

First I wanna think just about the hatching and first days after hatching.
I know they need brackish water but how do I do it and how do I transfer them to the water?

EbiAqua
First I wanna think just about the hatching and first days after hatching.
I know they need brackish water but how do I do it and how do I transfer them to the water?

Most attempts at breeding Amano shrimp have not been successful. Brackish water needs to have a salinity of 1.08 to around 1.15, not sure about how you would transfer the larva as they will be tiny, free-swimming nauplii.

Any hatched babies probably won't survive more than a few hours in pure freshwater.

EbiAqua
Here, this article may help, but it isn't beginner stuff.

Breeding Yamato (Amano) shrimp

ada6991
Most attempts at breeding Amano shrimp have not been successful. Brackish water needs to have a salinity of 1.08 to around 1.15, not sure about how you would transfer the larva as they will be tiny, free-swimming nauplii.

Any hatched babies probably won't survive more than a few hours in pure freshwater.

Ugh at least I can try to save them
Would that help if id separate the shrimp with the eggs or would there really be no point?

Ill try to do my best but I bet they will become fish food anyways

EbiAqua
Ugh at least I can try to save them
Would that help if id separate the shrimp with the eggs or would there really be no point?

Ill try to do my best but I bet they will become fish food anyways

The article I posted has information on when to separate the mother, water salinity, etc.

ada6991
Ok thanks Ill read it and see how its gonna go

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Clarissa98