Amano shrimp not amanos?

awilkinson871

So my LFS rarely gets shrimp, but I bought amanos a while back. They were all clear and slowly a couple have turned reddish. No big deal until last week I noticed 2-3 tiny shrimp that have to be babies. Not possible with true amanos. Any idea what these are? I was planning on ordering some red cherry shrimp in the next month or so, but I need to know what I have first.

20211014_130849.jpg
20211014_131027.jpg
20211014_131757.jpg

The first picture shows how red 2 have gotten, the second is another female, and the third is one of the newly noticed (it is hard to see because it is clear and never stops moving). Any ideas what kind they may be?

Cue

well, you are right. while you do seem to have amanos, the shrimp you found appears to be a ghost shrimp! it probably hitchhiked on some plants as a baby and you didn't notice because it was tiny and transparent. take what I say with a grain of salt though, I'm not the shrimp expert around here :D

on a completely unrelated note, your amanos have developed some beautiful coloring.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Thanks. I am so confused. I am wondering how many types of shrimp I actually have. I can count 7 at a time, but could have as many as 13. If one died I wouldn't know because of the cories and snails. I am glad you noticed some amanos. Maybe some of the "amanos" were actually ghost and they had babies. I noticed 2-3 of the smaller ones. Most of the adults are females, but I do have one clear male. Guess I need to find the rest and try to take more photos.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
Emlayyy3
Replies
Views
icecream1212
  • Question