Amano Shrimp Jumping

Ava quallen

Reaction score
yesterday I got 3 amano shrimp for my 5 gal betta tank which is fairly planted and cycled. Today when I was in my room I heard something clank against the lid and saw one of the shrimp flopping around on top of the lid. I’ve read they are escape artists but does anyone know how to prevent this? Thanks.

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
To prevent them from jumping you will need a lid for the tank. For a temporary solution you could lower the water level an inch or so

Ava quallen

Reaction score
Thank you I will lower the water level but I already have a lid that has about a half inch gap between the edge of the lid and the edge of the tank

Ava quallen

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
They could also be jumping to escape from the betta, if he's bothering them or if they're stressed.
That’s sorta what I was thinking my betta is pretty mellow but maybe he jerked or swan really fast and it got spooked

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You might want to rehome them then. If they're jumping from stress, keeping them with the betta isn't a good idea.

Ava quallen

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
You might want to rehome them then. If they're jumping from stress, keeping them with the betta isn't a good idea.
I will continue watching this week my betta hasn’t even really acted aggressive towards them at all but i will keep it in mind

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ava quallen said:
I will continue watching this week my betta hasn’t even really acted aggressive towards them at all but i will keep it in mind
Make sure your parameters are all in check. Amanos, in my experience, seem to be more sensitive than other shrimp species. If they feel stressed by toxins or they feel in danger they will jump ship as a defense (they have very strong legs for shrimp and can carry their weight on land.) Even if the betta isn't being outwardly aggressive toward them it's possible something else is spooking them. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid as well to keep them in or find a piece of plastic to cover gaps. If they're jumping I'd consider rehoming them before you find crispy fish chips on the floor or they simply disappear. As an alternative I've always loved cherry shrimp with bettas, it just depends on the betta's personality and if it will be aggressive towards smaller shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom