amano shrimp escaped?

Discussion in 'Amano Shrimp' started by mandylew, Oct 9, 2007.

1. mandylew

mandylewNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone has had this happen or know how/why. I got a yamato shrimp yesterday, today when i looked it had shed its shell in the tank I couldnt find it anywhere i thought maybe the tetras had eaten it but as it was bigger than them though it couln't be, then later on I found it dried up on the floor about 5 metres away. Tank has a lid although it is not tight fit, could it have climbed out and down the cables? It was a bit lively but I couldnt imagine how it had got so far, do they come out of the water if they shed skin? I dont want to get another if they make a habit of this but he was really cute.

2. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    I have never heard of an Amano shrimp doing that. Mine don't climb out of the water at all (that doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it hasn't happened to me).
    They are capable of propelling themselves, and it could be that a tetra chased it out of the tank. If it just happened to hit a gap (like where the filter goes in) it could have launched itself out. Not likely, but as Holmes said, "Rule out the impossible and whatever's left, no matter how unlikely, must be the answer."

3. MrWaxhead

MrWaxheadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    They do not shed out of water, they usually go hide for a bit after a molt though, as they are softer and more vulnerable. I have never had one climb out of any of my tanks, but I have heard of it happening. What are your water parameters like. IE is your tank cycled and mature, it may have climbed out due to water being unfriendly for them at the moment. They can move a fair distance out of water from what I have read about them, this should only happen if they were spooked out from a fish, being freshly molted this is a possibility, or it could have climbed out due to bad water.

4. OP
    OP
    mandylew

mandylewNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    it is about 2 month old tank ammonia and nitrites are 0 nitrates are less than 10 and ph7, there are just 3 neon teras in the tank it is only small 10 litres, but there is a log he seemed happy to go under that when we first put him in.

5. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    I think with that, and with Mr Waxhead's backing up of the "spooked" concept, I would chalk it up to a newly molted shrimp being afraid for its temporarily soft shell leaping out of the water to avoid the attentions of a tetra.