Amano Shrimp Easier Than Ghost Shrimp?

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello.

So I've bought countless of the cheap little ghost shrimp. They are SO delicate and die off really easy.

I was wondering if it would be worth my time to get some amano shrimp in their place from Trins? Are they easier to keep alive? I saw they can live 2-3 years.

They'd be going into a 20 gallon long tank set to 76 (eventually 78 once I trade out some corys), Aquaclear 50 HOB filter, with the following stock

1 Male Betta Splendens
(doesn't pay any attention to the ghost shrimp)
8 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Panda Corys
(eventually trading out for sterbais)
1 Nerite Snail
(somewhere in there)
1 Mystery Snail

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
actually ghost shrimp do live for a while if cared for properly. I don't recommend going from amano to ghost since they are practically the same.

Cheesearmada

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had this lone ghost shrimp who just never seems to die no matter what you do. He's been sucked into the syphon numerous times, bullied by my other fish. Sucked into the filter, etc.

Ghost shrimp are mostly 'feeder fish' usually used to feed larger predatory fish. Because they aren't expected to live long they are often shipped in bulk probably 500 per bag and usually in poor condition. Many die on the journey or in the pet store. So when you get your ghost shrimp, theres a good chance only 1 out of 10 will survive the first month. It's mostly a luck of the draw thing, sometimes you're lucky, other times not so much.

Edit: When they aren't dying or just disappearing, they can be super entertaining to watch and observe. Guests to my house often only pay attention to the shrimp as they are so funny with their little hand-like appendages.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amanos are very hardy. I think it’s worth a try. Unfortunate that you have to buy online and pay shipping. They’re common where I’m at.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When buying ghost shrimp, try for the clearest ones you can find. Milky white is bad. It's possible that you may have a toxicity issue (copper, sodium, iodides, carbonic acids, etc)

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
scarface said:
Amanos are very hardy. I think it’s worth a try. Unfortunate that you have to buy online and pay shipping. They’re common where I’m at.
Well, on the bright side, I could order a few ($2.50 a piece from a better source) when I'm ordering something else.
Cheesearmada said:
Edit: When they aren't dying or just disappearing, they can be super entertaining to watch and observe. Guests to my house often only pay attention to the shrimp as they are so funny with their little hand-like appendages.
Oh trust me, I love to watch them interact with EVERYTHING when I first get them. Lol. They do tend to turn milky really fast though. Or disappear like you said.
DutchAquarium said:
actually ghost shrimp do live for a while if cared for properly. I don't recommend going from amano to ghost since they are practically the same.
So...... your suggestion is to NOT try the amanos?
Mick Frost said:
When buying ghost shrimp, try for the clearest ones you can find. Milky white is bad. It's possible that you may have a toxicity issue (copper, sodium, iodides, carbonic acids, etc)
Wonder which one it could be? I doubt copper, because I have some pretty old nerites (in comparison anyway).

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Petco and my LFS have amanos pretty regularly. I find them to be extremely hardy, and they are specialized to eat algae, while I've read a lot about ghosts being more carnivorous/omnivorous. I also think amanos look way less creepy, but that's just me

Xx_Gemstone_xX

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have both ghosts and Amanos but my ghosts have had some health issues recently and my amanos seem to be very hardy so I would give it a try (in my opinion amanos are also prettier)

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
True Ghosts are omnivorous, but harmless (except to shrimplets). There are a few species that are commonly mistaken for ghosts, though, that can eat a colony of neos quite quickly.
Amanos are more opportunistic, and will eat whatever they can if theyre hungry enough. My LFSs have stopped bringing in Amanos because they dont have the room for a proper QT and they keep wiping out Ghosts and Neos.

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My amanos got along perfectly well with my neos. I did however have a small group of ghost shrimp eat an entire small colony of neos

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NLindsey921 said:
My amanos got along perfectly well with my neos. I did however have a small group of ghost shrimp eat an entire small colony of neos
Palaemonetes don't normally do that, but Machrobrachium will do so readily.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NLindsey921 said:
I made a post about it and everybody swore it was a ghost shrimp.
I wish I knew which was which, but both are called ghost/glass shrimp interchangably. Macrobrachium have much longer claws though.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How many amano shrimp would be good in a 20 Long with the current stocking?

1 Male Betta Splendens
8 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Panda Corys
1 Nerite Snail (been a while since seeing)
1 Mystery Snail

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JLeeM said:
How many amano shrimp would be good in a 20 Long with the current stocking?

1 Male Betta Splendens
8 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Panda Corys
1 Nerite Snail (been a while since seeing)
1 Mystery Snail
However many you want, just remember you'll need to feed more often as the number of shrimp increases

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
-Mak- said:
However many you want, just remember you'll need to feed more often as the number of shrimp increases
Aren't they kind of hard to breed in a community tank?

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChaosCorrupter said:
Amano shrimp won't breed in a freshwater only setup. They need brackish for the young to survive
Okay, that's what I thought.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom