Amano shrimp babies or 'knock off' amanos

rabbitsnfoxes

I went to my LFS and bought 'algae eating shrimp.' I asked the guy who helped me to confirm that they were amano shrimp and he said they were. Well, flash forward, I now have three of these shrimp which are a little smaller than the cherrys in the tank, and they have no spots. They are clear with a white racing stripe. I attached pics. Last week I added 3 tablespoons of Fritz freshwater salt to the tank to cure a health issue with the cherrys, and a few days later I saw little tiny baby shrimp scurry when I turn the lights on at night. I attached a pic of one of the babies which is super tiny (it's on the glass in front of the moss ball). They are white, so I'm assuming they aren't cherry babies.

So my question is: did I accidentally create brackish enough conditions for baby amanos to thrive but not brackish enough to kill the parents...or did my LFS sell me some other kind of shrimp, and if so, which kind?

Attachments

• 20200303_234303.jpg
    20200303_234303.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200303_234330.jpg
    20200303_234330.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200303_234704.jpg
    20200303_234704.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 92

goldface

I serously doubt it. When Amanos get berried, they carry for a while. If I remember, it's about a month. It's easily observed, and I doubt you could have missed it. When the eggs finally hatch, hundreds of tiny, speck-like larvae are released, and look nothing like shrimp or shrimplets. The metamorphosis takes time. You don't just get tiny shrimp by adding salt from a few days ago.

Regarding the pics, I don't know. Could be ghost shrimp or just a cherry shrimp. Pics aren't good enough.

Demeter

They look like yellow cherries to me. That would explain the breeding.

richiep

There are no Amano shrimp in those photos they are all cherries, you should not add salt to a shrimp tank , if the shrimp as a problem that needs a salt dip you should take the shrimp out to dip them, what health problems have you got that require a salt dip?

rabbitsnfoxes

I serously doubt it. When Amanos get berried, they carry for a while. If I remember, it's about a month. It's easily observed, and I doubt you could have missed it. When the eggs finally hatch, hundreds of tiny, speck-like larvae are released, and look nothing like shrimp or shrimplets. The metamorphosis takes time. You don't just get tiny shrimp by adding salt from a few days ago.

Regarding the pics, I don't know. Could be ghost shrimp or just a cherry shrimp. Pics aren't good enough.
Thanks, my gut was telling me something was up and that they weren't amanos. Darn you LFS!

rabbitsnfoxes

They look like yellow cherries to me. That would explain the breeding.
Darn, now I'm going to have brown shrimp. Guess I'll try to round them up and move them to my other tank. Thanks LFS...

Deku-Cory

Honestly, even with the best LFS's you can't always trust that what they claim to have is what they actually have. The sellers they get fish from will sometimes mix up similar species, or will intentionally send the wrong species. The employees might not know the difference, and just go off what the order sheet says.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jellibeen
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views