Amano Shrimp And Goldfish

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

I just bought some amano shrimp to put in the tank that will eventually hold my fancy goldfish and two mystery snails. However, I'm worried about my goldfish possibly trying to eat the shrimp. I got the biggest ones they had (about an inch), but my goldfish is obviously still much bigger (maybe a little more than two inches, not including the tail).

How do I best protect my shrimp and keep them from getting eaten?

Here's a picture of my tank now. Do I need more places for them to hide?

0447a2e8c5632e2c051eb3da821c0336.jpg

2. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

I don't know if they'll eat the shrimp, but your shrimp would definitely like more plants and decor. In my experience they don't hide a lot, but they love to climb on stuff and explore. I'm not sure if those are fake plants or not, but either way shrimp really enjoy live plants.

3. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

What size tank is that?

4. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

They're live plants! I'm working on getting some more, both tall plants and some short carpeting ones. I'm also planning on getting some more rocks and driftwood and whatnot.

It's a 15 gallon.

5. James17

I would not put goldfish in a fifteen gallon tank. It is just way too small for them.
    Even small feeder goldfish will outgrow it very quickly.

6. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

Sounds good! What kind of goldfish is it? As far as I know 15 gallons is too small. Putting a goldfish in a small tank could maybe cause some issues with the shrimp that normally wouldn't exist.

7. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

He's in a 10 right now, so I figure a 5 gallon upgrade is better than nothing (I found the 15 in our basement). I'm working on getting a 30 for him.

8. James17

I'm not fussing at you, just wanted you to know how fast they grow, FYI, they are also very hard on live plants.

9. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I've had the plant issue with him already I don't mind too much, though

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Just be prepared to upgrade the goldie again.
    I would expect a goldie to eat amano shrimp.