Amano Attacking Healthy Cherries

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Greetings Fishlore!
I was watching my fishtank recently when I saw my Amano chasing a perfectly healthy Red Rili shrimp, and as soon as the red Rili landed, the Amano pinned her down and started gnawing at her. This is the first time I've seen this happen, and I don't know why... The shrimp are fed daily and with heavy amounts.
Can someone tell me why the amano just started attacking healthy shrimp? And should I remove the Amano?
20180425_154534.jpeg

20180425_155618.jpeg

The Amano attacking and eating the Red Rili before I disturbed it.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive never heard of amanos doing that.

If you ted rilli colony is healthy i wouldnt remove the amano unless its starts to affect population levels

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you feed enough protein in their diets? SOmetimes all shrimp will get cannibalistic if they need protein. Is it just one shrimp or multiple? If this continues, remove the **** shrimp.

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you feed enough protein in their diets? SOmetimes all shrimp will get cannibalistic if they need protein. Is it just one shrimp or multiple? If this continues, remove the **** shrimp.
The Amanos follow a strict food regiment of dried goods (Hikari, Azoo, Ocean Free) for Monday to Wednesday, frozen and fresh bloodworms from Thursday to Friday. On Saturday they usually fast and on Sunday I feel blanched zucchini. If it matters, 4 of the 5 amanos were introduced at the same time, while the fifth wad introduced a few weeks after.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In th
The Amanos follow a strict food regiment of dried goods (Hikari, Azoo, Ocean Free) for Monday to Wednesday, frozen and fresh bloodworms from Thursday to Friday. On Saturday they usually fast and on Sunday I feel blanched zucchini. If it matters, 4 of the 5 amanos were introduced at the same time, while the fifth wad introduced a few weeks after.
at case, do you have another tank to move the amano into? If not, I would pitch him, euthanize him, feed him to something.

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In th

at case, do you have another tank to move the amano into? If not, I would pitch him, euthanize him, feed him to something.
I do have another shrimp tank that has 2 of the Amano's friends, since I bought 3 more as a way of dealing with string algae in my moss rocks. I just wanted to increase the Amano population in my main tank for aesthetic purposes.

So I saw the Amano ripping another shrimp to shreds, moved it to the other tank with it's original friends.

I noticed something as well:
Amanos that were introduced at the same time tend to stick together, and the other four that call the tank home are extremely mild with conspecifics and the dwarf shrimps until food arrives, but even then it's just usual Amano behaviour of hoarding food. The fifth one, which came from 3 others that I bought for my other tank, tend to stay away from the four and do it's own things. Maybe this could be a reason why that one Amano started snacking on my shrimps?

Edit: My case and point:
SDKYytz.jpg

These four stick in close proximity to each other most of the time, while the fifth Amano at the time stayed far away from them.
(I know, they look like they're posing for a track album.)

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've never even heard of this with amano! I would feed that guy to a bottle of isopropyl in a heartbeat! I know it sounds mean, but I dont deal with out of the norm aggression. I've never kept the two together, but it's not supposed to happen. I know you aren't breeding, but with easily captive bred fish, I cull anything that doesnt fit the norm.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Amanos are generally peaceful so this is quite strange.

I would name this amano the “rebellious teen that periodically eats dwarf shrimp” amano.

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the Amano continues to terrorize the small shrimp population in the second tank, it will have to find a way to survive with my extremely ill-tempered Tiger Crayfish
d1xAFn8.jpg

He'll annihilate anything that moves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom