Am new please be gentle with me

tatnsteph

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of interesting stuff on this site today and thought I would like to join in the forums and look at the pictures, some great pics by the way.
Just wanted to introduce myself and say Hello, I have a partner, a 2 year old dog, a 2 and a half year old cat and we got our tropical fish tank just before the new year and its doing quite well our black molly is pregnant, how exciting eh?
Well hello to you all, I look forward to getting to know more about you and our wet pets
Tat

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi! Tat. Welcome to Fish Lore!

tatnsteph

Reaction score
Thank you very much, never been in forum before so a bit of a new world for me

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi. Welcome to FishLore!!

I'd never been in a forum before FishLore either. Everyone here is very welcoming and helpfull. Ive been here nearly a yaer now. I can't beleive how fast it's gone! Everyone here will be glad to help if you have any problems.

Gwenz ;D

tatnsteph

Reaction score

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cool!! I think your tank is a little overstocked though. :-\ I'm sure someone more experienced will explain. I would help, but am quite tired so think I might go to bed!!

Gwenz

tatnsteph

Reaction score
You think my tank is over crowded? we had a tank at home when I was a teenager and was a similer size to the one I got now and we had a lot more fish in it than I have now, most of my fish are only youngsters and I`m working on getting another tank so I will have to move some over to new tank when they get bigger, do you think they will be ok for now?
I have a little quarentine tank but will need to use that when my molly has her babies

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If they are babies now, they might get by for a little while. If you want to read a whole thread on this subject, look in Freshwater for beginners. Look under "why can't I have more fish". There is a whole discussion on size of tank, the 1"/gal rule, and mass of fish vs. the "rule", as well as a link worth looking at. Folks just want you to be prepared. It sounds like you are already looking to the future though. Hope you can find a good deal on a bigger tank.

Fish in the Frozen North!

tatnsteph

Reaction score
Thank you, very helpful, was my partner said our tank was 26 gallons, just been on the calculator myself and it works out to just under 32 Uk gallons which is just under 38 US gallons, didn`t know our gallons were different! thats summat else I`ve learned today.
Our tank is 120 litres, am I still over stocked?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! Yep, afraid it's still a little overstocked. Glad to hear an other tank is in the near future. soon you will have MTS(Multiple Tank Syndrome) like the rest of us.
carol

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
  Isn't the calculator with this site great!  The answer still lays with the total inches of fish that yours COULD grow into.  Reasearch this in the section that describes each freshwater species.  You can find what the expected length is.  then if you keep it to under 1" X gallon, it should be ok, unless like the article stated, you have fish with a large mass then you can't use the 1" rule.  We all want to fill up the space, I am in the predicament myself of being overcrowded, which makes me have to do lots of water changes to keep my fish healthy.  I am going to be getting a new tank....Soon...and know that next time I am going to enjoy the plants just as much as the fish, and let them grow in, not get ahead of myself and try to fill space with fish.  Everything will be happier, and healthier!  This is all just my opinion, I am not trying to come down hard on you, because what it is all about is enjoyment of your fish.  Seems like you have been enjoying them, and I want you to have every success.

Fish in the Frozen North!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
firstly welcome to fishlore! you do seem to have alot of fish in there!! dont be alarmed though, just be sure to upgrade soon before they all grow up! we dont mean to nag or anything, but its easy to just not be aware of these things til its too late and there's disease and stunted growth etc!! we all just want to make sure all the fish and owners are stress free!!!

i was a forum virgin too when i joined! this forum is very user friendly and always welcoming! enjoy!

tatnsteph

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice you have all worried me a little, suppose I should have done more research before taking up this hobby, we had spent a weekend at my brothers and he has a beautiful tank, my partner fell in love with it so when we got home we checked the local newspaper and went and bought one with out realy thinking.
Once your tank is up and running you just want to fill it with fish, there is so many fish we like and could have bought hundreds, we just get so excited about all the different fish and all the different colours, its so hard to limit yourself, but of course we dont want to harm the fish in anyway, we just got carried away.
Will get new tank A.S.A.P and sort them out before they grow to big, I promise.
Very nice meeting you all, youre all so helpfull, thank you
Tat

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm the same. never had fish before, but once i started... that was it!!! there are so many fish i'd love to have, but will have to find more space (and money!) for tanks first!! once you start, you just cant help yourself!!! as for fish stores......you wont be able to resist going in every time you pass one now!!!
have fun, and enjoy! ;D
Tan

tatnsteph

Reaction score
It is a very addictive pass-time, I`ve become quite obsessed with fish and fishy things specialy having baby mollies on the way my partner says I`m like an expectant father!
I just find the tank so relaxing to watch I can get home feeling quite stressed and hassled, I make myself a mug of tea and sit and watch the fish while I enjoy my cuppa and all the stress and hassle just washes away its great, a real therapy, I like to stare at the tank when I first get up too, I`m a bit of a zombie for about an hour when I get up and its lovely to just stare at the tank and just get myself lost for a while till I come to, sound like a bit of a fruit cake dont I?
Tat

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love having fish for pets, They dont need to be potty trained or not to claw up the furniture. I also have chickens, cats and dogs

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
if you're a fuitcake then so am i!!! i spend alot of time staring at the tank......motr often when i should be doing other things!!!! they are relaxing to watch though!

and thanks goodness they dont need potty training and dont chew everything!! and you can leave them all day and they dont mind!!! when we had a dog it was very tying as couldnt go out of house for more than a few hours before she wanted letting out, walking, feeding etc etc!! not to mention the pet insurance and vet bills! and they are guarunteed not to bite anyone!!!! - def easy pets to have!!! no answering back either like i get with the kids!!! ;D

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi welcome to fishlore, i have a cat too, her name is bonita.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom