Question Am I Wrong?

Should i be freaking out?

• Total voters

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i lost a serpea tetra.. All parameters are 0,0,10,.. Boyfriend keeps asking what happen why did he die. I told him sometimes fish just die and i am mot freaking out because i know i did nothing wrong. All other fish in the tank are great ..but he is driving me insane.. Should i be freaking?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sometimes fish do just die... but we should always ask why... and sometimes a single death is a harbinger of things to come. I'd ask the bf to calm down, but discuss the tank's recent history together, looking for any causation and both observe the tank. Freaking out... well, I've been there before but it doesn't help much.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Other. Make him a sandwich. Ok that wasn't nice. You tested your water to rule that out. When I have a death I usually look at the rest of the fish close and see if something looks off. But ultimately sometimes fish do just die for what ever reason.

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay so there are three options to this in my opinion.
1. It could be like my dwarf rainbow. He just died a month into me owning him. No other reason, nothing wrong.
2. It could be like my mollies. All the babies die one after another. That is suspicious and you look into it, realise they are all Chalkys and put it down to genetic disease.
3. You find 3 perfectly healthy fish dead all at the same and everyone else is gasping at the top. That is bad. You find what is up because something is wrong. Power cut in my case.

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah all other fish healthy. This one was missing a fin when i got it and an eye. Had in quarantine for 4 weeks no issues. ..introduced hin to main tank this week and he died this morning..i think just too mich stress on a already stressed fish. Boufriend doesnt buy that fish can be stressed. In his defense he was raised by a man that fished for a living and was taught fish cant feeel pain.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see... I know plenty of fishermen types too and imagine many would laugh at the idea of stressed fish. I'd probably tell the story and show some pictures of my yellow watchman goby, who was beautiful at the store, then stressed so much in qt that he turned nearly white with very dark stress stripes. He was the biggest scaredy cat and only got worse as time went on in that qt, to the point where he wouldn't even eat well and I was desperate for him to finish his time because I feared he'd stress to death. Well, thank goodness, he completed the qt process and made it to his forever home... where he became beautiful again and is the little boss of his nano reef. That poor, stressed, scared goby is now king, eats like it, and is not afraid to put the clownfish (who is his buddy) in his place. The stressors are real indeed. Sounds like your poor guy already had to deal with a lot before you even brought him home. From what you've told us, I'm inclined to think that physical injury plus compounded stressors is probably what got him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom