Question Am I Underfeeding?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I know fish can be little tricksters and try and tell you they want food whenever they see you, but I think mine might actually be serious. In one tank, even an extremely generous pinch of flakes is gone within a minute, between just 5 small fish. They devour everything in seconds!
In another tank (discus) they always follow me around the tank at the surface (normal behavior for cichlids) but they're always searching for food in the tank despite me thinking I'm way overfeeding to combat this. Just like the tank mentioned above, nothing I put in the tank lasts much more than a minute, and they always come back up to me for more

CandyCane701

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How much and how often do you feed? Most fish are pigs, and they'll eat until they can't physically eat anymore if given the chance.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Both tanks get fed twice a day during the week, three times on weekends. Tank one gets a fairly large pinch of flakes or pellets for either feeding, along with some bottom feeder wafers for a pleco and snails. Today I gave them a cube of frozen brine shrimp which should have been too much, but the whole thing was gone in like 90 seconds
Tank two I do a cube of brine shrimp and a small pinch of pellets in the morning, then a mixture of flakes and pellets at night

New Threads