1 dinosaur bichir about 4 inches
1 black ghost knife 4inches

the other 20gallon tank has
1 baby black ghost knife 2.5 inches
1 dwarf gourami 1 inch
2 african dwarf frogs 1.5 inches each
2 corydoras 1 inch each

** i use 1 frozen cube
i put a little bit in one tank. sum in the other tank and the rest in the big tank.

am i underfeeding??
•o•

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not sure how large the cube is-
A general rule, though it does not apply to all fish and is a very loose estimate, is that a fish should be fed the amount of both it’s eyeballs.

Generally it’s quite difficult to underfeed fish. However, you will know when your fish is emaciated as it will become obvious. The fish will appear “smaller” and it may loose normal body shape. The skin will hug the body so that the skull shape is clearly defined and you can see the spine of the fish.

If you’re worried about overfeeding, it’s ok to overfeed and follow up with a fast day or two. Uneaten food can be removed with a fish net or eaten by bottom feeders.

Everyone has their own method of feeding. Some fishkeepers will actually feed a large amount, but only once or twice a week.

Remember that fish can go a long time, some for over a month, without food so don’t worry too much. As long as your fish are getting enough nutrients from their food they should be fine.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you making sure that the knife fish are eating, that the frogs are getting there fare share? Both species may need daily spot feeding
the pleco may need sinking wafers once a week or so and driftwood to nash on.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just to add to what was said above, it’s possible for individual fish to be outcompeted for food. Look for signs of bullying during feeding time. It’s ok if a few fish don’t eat at a particular feeding, they may not be hungry or be distracted, but that should not be a repetitive behavior for the individual fish. Keep in mind the mouth size of the fish and make some food bits smaller or larger to encourage everyone to feed.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cheekless said:
40gallon tank has
3 loaches
2 catfish
1 killifish
1 gudgeon
2 plecos
^they are all around 2.5 inches

20gallontank has
1 dinosaur bichir about 4 inches
1 black ghost knife 4inches

the other 20gallon tank has
1 baby black ghost knife 2.5 inches
1 dwarf gourami 1 inch
2 african dwarf frogs 1.5 inches each
2 corydoras 1 inch each

** i use 1 frozen cube
i put a little bit in one tank. sum in the other tank and the rest in the big tank.

am i underfeeding??
•o•
Feeding for me is tuff I have over a 100 fish in one tank so I dump a lot to make sure the bottom level guys get some also but underfeeding idk I skip days and don’t feed at all so if their eating everyday I think ur good

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adding to what I said, in case you didn't know.
KNife fish are mostly blind, they search for food through smell and electric pulses. They can easily be outcompeted for food. It is ideal and easy to teach them to hand feed. Plus if you do, you can show them off to your friends any time, or more importantly, check them for health and growth.

African dwarf frogs rarely try to compete for food, For this reason they do not always thrive in tanks with fish. If you don't spot feed them, they can starve.

Not to be rude, but are you planning to get the schooling fish "cories, loaches, some catfish species" into large or at least minimum size schools soon? Are you planning to get the knife fish "which grow to 20 inches" or the bicher, "15 inches" into larger tanks soon?

New Threads