Am I The Only One That Does This?

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Am I the only one who occasionally searches craigslist for used tanks not to purchase but to see the ridiculous prices that people want for their old tanks?
First there is the dollar per gallon thing which basically closes out anything under 55 gallon with pricing but beyond that there's the people that will for some reason ask hundreds more for their used tanks just because it has a crappy hang on back, some PH adjusters, and some stale flake food. Or the people that are asking more because it "comes with 5 Oscars and a common pleco" btw, it's a 30 gallon.
The only ones that seem to make any sense are the ones that are 100g+ and come with a nice stand.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will also do that, more to look for tanks though. I have noticed how people will charge 40-60 for a 20 gallon tank.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ghostlybosun said:
Am I the only one who occasionally searches craigslist for used tanks not to purchase but to see the ridiculous prices that people want for their old tanks?
First there is the dollar per gallon thing which basically closes out anything under 55 gallon with pricing but beyond that there's the people that will for some reason ask hundreds more for their used tanks just because it has a crappy hang on back, some PH adjusters, and some stale flake food. Or the people that are asking more because it "comes with 5 Oscars and a common pleco" btw, it's a 30 gallon.
The only ones that seem to make any sense are the ones that are 100g+ and come with a nice stand.
Haha!! Yep that's me too!! I have seen 10 gallon tank for up to 100 dollars because they have gravel and a heater with them!lol

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will say that if I found a nice 80 gallon shallow frag for a reasonable price I'd jump only because it would be way better than my 75 gallon for plants and I was so close to getting one before the guy i was getting it from said he wasn't able to get it for me.

Yeah sorry, your put away filthy and allowed to dry 10 gallon that probably leaks is not worth $100 unless the gravel your including has actual diamonds in it.

Fishy McGee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey..... those diamonds were hard to find! XD

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do that all the time! I've also come across some crazy ones. Part of the picture had to be cropped because it wasn't mine, but it had 2 male bettas in the same tank.
Screenshot_20181119-201451_1.jpg

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did the betta kill each other by the time the post was sent?

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yinoma2001 said:
Did the betta kill each other by the time the post was sent?
I have no idea what happened to those bettas. I am very curious though.

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have noticed this in my area as well but occasionally I do see good deals, I paid $100 for my 75 gallon from Craigslist and $30 for a 90 gallon that was being used for turtles and needed a good cleaning and re-seal. There's a guy locally that is selling brand new in the box Fluval FX4s and FX6s for $175/$200 I'm about to contact this weekend.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Zorro A. Knievel Esq. said:
I have noticed this in my area as well but occasionally I do see good deals, I paid $100 for my 75 gallon from Craigslist and $30 for a 90 gallon that was being used for turtles and needed a good cleaning and re-seal. There's a guy locally that is selling brand new in the box Fluval FX4s and FX6s for $175/$200 I'm about to contact this weekend.
Those are some pretty good deals. Nothing anyway near that reasonable in my area.

Rowan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I look for fish I might be able to help. I recently paid $50 for a standard 5.5 gallon tank because it came with fish that really needed a bigger tank and I just couldn't stand it. Unfortunately, a few had died by the time I picked them up, and two more died shortly after I got them home. (I did everything I could, but I think they were just too far gone.) The remaining 3 pygmy corys and 1 molly are doing well, though, so I consider it a win.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rowan said:
I look for fish I might be able to help. I recently paid $50 for a standard 5.5 gallon tank because it came with fish that really needed a bigger tank and I just couldn't stand it. Unfortunately, a few had died by the time I picked them up, and two more died shortly after I got them home. (I did everything I could, but I think they were just too far gone.) The remaining 3 pygmy corys and 1 molly are doing well, though, so I consider it a win.
That is very nice of you and probably something I'd do on occasion if I wasn't limited to one tank (apartment). I'd imagine that it could get out of hand pretty easily doing that all the time though.

MWR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot of the "bad deals" is because the people selling them did not get them at the $1 per gallon sale. They overpaid when they bought their setups and still do not realize it.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It makes me so mad! I spent at least $500 buying everything for my 20 gallon new... Then after I look on Kijji (Canadian Cragislist) wow $50 for everything needed even fully planted 20 gallon.
My favorite is people selling 10 gallons for $300. Or guppies... $1 for 10!

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen some great deals on nice tanks. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the pristine watertight 225 for $200 that came with lids and stand. (Didn't think I really needed it at the time and had no way to transport, and now we may be changing the plans for the turtles and could use it.)

On the other hand, I've seen some ridiculous prices for nasty ruined tanks. I message with a friend back and forth when we find really horrible ones, for a good laugh!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do. Some I want to call and tell them that the dollar per gallon sale is cheeper that what they are asking.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I browse occasionally. I always like to get upset at people selling worthless stuff for "new mint condition retail" prices. But i also like seeing possible good deals.

Bighead

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I look all the time to and you are so right people have no clue as to what they are selling. Are the seals clear well it holds water can you put you nail behind the seal and lift it and when you look at it the seal are gone totally. Too funny

All my tanks were bought second hand every one and I have sealed each one 110,120 and my 90 reef all are right and tight to this day.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just checked my local Craigslist’s and here’s a few you might get a kick out of:

• A 20 gallon with a **** ton of air line tubing, a plastic plant, and a filter - only for $110! What a steal :banghead:

• 5 plastic “aquarium” plants (...they’re actually reptile plants but whateverrrr) - $45

• A DIY 20 gallon sump - $50 (you can buy a new, not DIY’ed one for $30)

•10 gallon with old food and melafix - $50

•Two 10 gallon tanks with a box of old, unusable water conditioners and airline tubing - $90

That’s all I have available to me right now hahah

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I occasionally look because I’ve heard of people on here finding steals. Unfortunately I’ve only doubt duds but here’s to hoping

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom