Am I the only one that can't keep guppies alive??

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by VAFish, Jul 23, 2015.

1. VAFish

VAFishValued MemberMember

Before I got out of the hobby for a few years, I tried guppies and could never keep them alive. I kept many types of fish alive for years but never could keep guppies around.

This time around my tanks are of great water quality, no ammonia or nitrites and very minimal nitrates. I've had success with different types of fish for the last few months. I decided I needed some color in my 30 gallon. I got two male guppies, they were with 6 danios and 6 white clouds. All of which are healthy. Last two days I lost both guppies. Could I be guppy cursed :(!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

What is your PH? While most fish can adapt to a broad range of PH levels, guppies tend to do better with higher PH levels above 7 or even 7.5ish. Could also be bad stock from where you are purchasing them. Guppies can be inbred pretty easily and if your supplier/store keeps getting from the same person, the problem won't fix it self.

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Guppies are so inbred it's really hard to get quality gidh. Do you have an aquarium club near you? You can usually get better fish and good advice from club members.

carol

4. OP
    OP
    VAFish

My pH is 8. Do you think that's too high? It wasn't that high years ago when I kept them but still had no success.

I have some quality LFS near me, but have no idea about who or where they get their fish.

5. Blk69Valued MemberMember

I only have guppies and am loosing an average of one a week. Have a water testing kit on order to check my water levels (75 gal). I know your pain.

When I get things figured out will post for others.

6. OP
    OP
    VAFish

They are so pretty. Was the perfect fish to add some color to my cool water tank. (73 degrees). But I guess that idea went poof quickly!

7. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

8.0 shouldn't be a problem. That is what I have as well, and my guppies do great. I had a couple die when I first got them, but I attributed that to bad stock, as the ones that survived have been doing great. Their tales are much longer and prettier now, so I think they are pretty healthy.

8. OP
    OP
    VAFish

Maybe I'll try a couple from another store and see what happens

9. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Mine all came from Pet Smart. Have some in an outdoor pond, they are doing great. It's my.inside ones that are having trouble. This points the finger of blame more at me.....possible over feeding.

10. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I don't think I had mine long enough to over feed :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice