Am I Ready To Add Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pale_aquarium

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 5 gallon tank and I just checked the levels of my water. Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are all at 0 while my ph is at 7.6! I know this is high since I want to add a Betta, but I thought maybe since I have no fish in the tank that could be why its not level? I have to buy a moss ball but I was wondering if maybe I am ready to add fish and maybe a snail or two? I have a 2.5 gallon with the same levels and want to add 2 african dwarf frogs and a snail to that. Are these tanks ready to hold life or should I lower my ph before adding anything? If so, how would I do that? Thank you all so much in advance! I'm about 2 months new to this hobby.

Neighsalot

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 5 gallon tank and I just checked the levels of my water. Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are all at 0 while my ph is at 7.6! I know this is high since I want to add a Betta, but I thought maybe since I have no fish in the tank that could be why its not level? I have to buy a moss ball but I was wondering if maybe I am ready to add fish and maybe a snail or two? I have a 2.5 gallon with the same levels and want to add 2 african dwarf frogs and a snail to that. Are these tanks ready to hold life or should I lower my ph before adding anything? If so, how would I do that? Thank you all so much in advance! I'm about 2 months new to this hobby.
Did you add a source of ammonia to your tank earlier? Ammonia is needed to help beneficial bacteria grow in your filter and tank. As WTFish said, there will be some nitrates once cycled but no ammonia or nitrites. I hope this helps!

OP
pale_aquarium

pale_aquarium

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long have they been cycling? You should see nitrates once cycled, not zero, but less that .20 pH isn’t a problem, I have no knowledge or experience with adf’s so I can not help there...
I've only been cycling for a few days so I know I should be waiting, I'm just no sure when I would start seeing things since everything is 0 now. Thank you for the reply though!

Did you add a source of ammonia to your tank earlier? Ammonia is needed to help beneficial bacteria grow in your filter and tank. As WTFish said, there will be some nitrates once cycled but no ammonia or nitrites. I hope this helps!
What can I add for a source of ammonia?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neighsalot

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What can I add for a source of ammonia?
You can add things like fish food, pure ammonia (bought at fish stores) and organic matter. Some people put 'cheap' fish in their tanks to cycle it but it's very stressful for the fish (often resulting in a painful death) and is quite cruel. If you or a friend has a cycled aquarium with no issues then you can take filter media from that aquarium and put it into your filter which will almost immediately cycle your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom