Am I Overstocking?

1. KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

Hi guys,

I think Ive settled on the type of fish I want to get in my new tank. The tank is a 60 gallon 48x15x18.
    Can you guys let me know if this stock will work in that size tank? If not, I am open to adjustments or changes. Thanks!

I should add Im trying to go for all male CA/SA Cichlids

1x Electric Blue Acara
    1x TBar
    1x Bolivian Ram
    1x cockatoo cichlid
    6-8 Corydoras
    6-10 Tetras...of some kind
    1x Tiger Pleco OR Gold Nugget Pleco.

2. bijillon

bijillon Initiate Member

I don’t know a lot about fish but I do love my ram!

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I would up the corys to 10-12 of them.

IMO to many different kinds of cichilds in one tank

I would do something more like this

-1 EBA
    -1 Tbar Cichlid
    -2 Rams (1 male/1 female)
    -12 Tetras such as lemon tetras or black widow tetra.
    -10-12 Corys
    -1 Pleco

4. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

i was hoping not to have any females in the tank if possible. i really did not want to have to deal with the breeding. i did not know there would be an issue with many different species in one tank, so long as they were all cichlids from central and south america. i guess ill need to think whether i want a ram or an apisto. thanks for the reply.

5. JesseMoreira06

some would actually only recommend only 2 deferent cichlids in 48" tank but I think 3 is okay.

Are you worried about fry or more breeding aggression ??

@tyguy7760 @Anders247 @TexasDomer

I'll let the more experienced give you their advice.

6. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

most importantly the agression, but yes, having to deal with the fry and the isolation and wwheee to put them is something id prefer to avoid if possible. not to mention the missus likely not being happy with baby fish possibly getting eaten or whatever, haha.

7. JesseMoreira06

I wouldn't worry to much about aggression , rams are not bad at all atleast IME . Fry the others would take care of it, but I do agree it might stress the rams out a bit.

8. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

i was actually talking about MY missus, lol.
    i was actually talking about MY missus, lol. if she knew there were babies in there and something happened i would never hear the end of it. but you bring up another point about mama ram stressing over the fry and the ther fish in the tank. i know my lfs will take any fish i bring in as donation or possibly store credit, but i just rather not deal with that aspect of it.

9. JesseMoreira06

hahaha I thought you ment the female ram.. that's a good one. Completely understand same as my girlfriend she doesn't want to do the dirty work but likes to give her opinion on stocking, aquascapping ect..

10. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you are stressed about the possibility of having to move fry and isolate them, putting 4 cichlid species in a 48 inch tank is asking for trouble. To even attempt this you'll want a plan B, a second tank that is ready to go to isolate any cichlids who aren't behaving, or one for a hospital tank who gets beaten up.

I personally would either lose the tbar or the cockatoo. These are going to be on the opposite ends of the aggression spectrum. While neither are very aggressive, if the tbar did get feisty, the cockatoo would not last long. And if any of the others got aggressive it wouldn't last long. The bolivian ram and the eb acara should be fine together...but anything is possible in a cichlid community, which is why you need a back up tank.

11. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's like JesseMoreira06 said, having many different species is not a good idea. I definitely had in mind to get a secondary tank set up for such things. So if the cockatoo is left out, would the other 3 (ram, eba, tbar) be ok? My other idea was to scratch dwarves altogether and go for electric blue Jack, though im unsure which to or bottom dwellers would go with that guy. This gives me something to think about. I appreciate your insight tyguy7760

12. tyguy7760

The tbar, eb acara, and bolivian have a good chance of working out but again it will be up to the individuals. Though their will likely be a bit of aggression. THe bolivian will likely be the bottom of the hierarchy with the eb and sajica sparing for top spot. I don't imagine there will be extreme aggression but you'll want to monitor just in case.

I think the aggression level on eb jacks are understated many times. EB jacks are indeed less aggressive than a regular jack, but that doesn't mean it's suitable for a community tank. EB jacks are very fragile and have very high mortality rates. So it's best to keep them in a very peaceful environment until maturity. But once they are mature, they are still what I would call an aggressive fish.

If you went the EB jack route I probably would keep it as the only cichlid in the tank and do some larger more armored cats like hoplos or portholes or some of the smaller synos as bottom dwellers as opposed to corydoras

13. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

Makes perfect sense. Going into this I of course knew aggression would be prominent in a tank and know its largely up to the individual (just like us!), I was trying to find the most colorful and peaceful option possible and those types caught my eye.
    As gorgeous of a fish as the electric jack is, ill likely stick with my community option and fine tune the stock a bit. But this definitely helps me out a bunch! Many thanks!

14. tyguy7760

Other peaceful options you could consider would be keyholes, rainbow cichlids, and smiling acaras

15. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

i heard of keyholes and rainbows, but smiling acaras are new to me. Those are some pretty fish too. i presume if i get a smiling acara ill have to scratch the electric blue acara?

16. tyguy7760

Not necessarily the EB acara, but you'd probably want to keep the cichlid species to 3.

This is all generalities but for reference I'd put them on an aggression scale of

Keyholes -> Bolivian Rams -> Smiling Acara -> Rainbow Cichlid -> EB Acara -> Sajica

But they are all much more peaceful than something like a jack dempsey and that's not saying you may not end up with a keyhole that would own all of them :) All up to the individual

17. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

Thanks for that breakdown - based on that ill probably go with EBA, Ram, Keyhole or Rainbow as my 3 and hope for the best!

Another question, if I may.....Since Im trying to do an all male tank, would it be prefereable to get the individuals once theyve been sexed? Or the other way where I get a group of juvies of each species (at the same time or no?) and once sexed remove the others? My thinking behind this is ive read if housed young enough together, it can help reduce likelihood of agression. I know theres no way to completely mitigate aggression, but anything helps!

18. tyguy7760

Long term success in getting all males and having them coexist will have a greater chance if you get, say 3 individuals at very young ages (maybe 4 if you think you can fit them in) and allow them to grow together and pick out the ones you want to keep.

This causes an issue though as you'll have a pretty well stocked tank without any other tank mates. Though if you go at it with adults, it's less likely to work out

19. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Member Member

yea im thinking of doing that with the ram and eba at the same time. and let whichever 3rd cichlid thats gonna be the bigger one in last. ill be able to handle the bioload since i pan on running 2 canisters by the time i put fish in. again, thanks again, you really helped me out.

20. JesseMoreira06

I would just like to add that I would probably do the rainbow cichlid over the keyhole because rainbows can handle themself better then a keyhole would Theoretically speaking. Keyholes tend to be alot more shy , I like to keep them in pairs.