Am I overstocking?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bill K, Aug 5, 2015.

1. B

Bill K New Member Member

I have a wall mounted tank. Weird dimensions 4" wall to front, 18" deep and 40 " long. I have 6 cardinals and 4 cory's . It a total of 10 gallons. Everyone seems happy. My question is I saw "brass tetras" this week, If I got 6 of them would I be over stocking?

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum :)

6 more fish would definitely over stock a tank like that. You are probably overstocked already. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't think of many fish that would be happy in a 4'' wide tank. But there maybe a few if you are willing to pay shipping. Most micro fish are not available locally. But there are always exceptions.

You could have dwarf shrimp and snails though.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? How is the tank filtered?

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I would personally keep that at a shrimp tank. It's just not wide enough for most fish.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with the above two posts, also cories need a group of 6+ of their own species....

5. G

Geoffrey Well Known Member Member

I saw a similar 4 inch deep 10 gallon tank sell for $100 on Craigslist! ...I think it's still there...
    It's so skinny and tall. How do you siphon the bottom?

Also, I agree with BDpups, you're probably already overstocked. When stocking, a larger base (length and width) is generally better and more important than a tall tank (or more volume). Of course, there are exceptions and more water is always appreciated.

6. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTim Valued Member Member

We would need to know about your filtration before we would know if this would overstock your tank. Make sure your tank is cycled. I would recommend adding two more cory cats first, because they prefer 6+ for a single school. Unfortunately, the tank is only 4" wide, so I would recommend against adding more fish than you already have, other than the additional cories. Of course, there are some very tiny fish that may work better for that tank. Shrimp and snails could also work. Good luck!

7. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Honestly you might want to just use that tank for shrimp/aquascaping and make it look absolutely beautiful, and then buy an actual fish tank. 4" won't get you anywhere with most fish. And yes, you are fully stocked, maybe even over-stocked.

8. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

My thoughts exactly. Even the smallest fish available in the hobby may not be very well suited for the tank. Although shrimp would be just fine in there. Maybe upgrade the lighting on it and go planted with some RCS.

9. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

4 inches in depth ?? Wow that's tiny.
    If so; I agree with the above as well. shrimp and aquascaping is a viable option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice