Question Am I overstocking my 29 gallon

AdwinTheAquarist

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have a 29 gallon planted tank. My fish are all males: 6 Guppies and 10 neon tetras. I wanted to add one more small school of another kind of tetra and later on one dwarf cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides, Bolivian ram or dwarf Gourami). I'm wondering if I should forgo the tetras and just leave the space for cichlid?

Attachments

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Personally at long as you keep up with water changes and gravel vacuuming I don't see an issue, depending on the fish of course, I know some tetras can be nippy and the guppy tails might get nipped. Dwarf gouramis are beautiful, I have 2 and once they become happy with the tank the colors are phenomenal! I don't know anything about the apisto you named and I have german blue rams instead of bolivian rams.

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you do add another school of tetras, smaller is better, I personally recommend 6 ember tetras and then the Bolivian ram or dwarf GouramI with 50% water changes each week. Any tetra larger than the embers may be pushing it. (Unless you have the time and willingness to do 2 water changes of 30-40% twice a week)

OP
AdwinTheAquarist

AdwinTheAquarist

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I definitely don't mind doing water changes if it allows me to have more fish. I bought a python water changer and it's the best.

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AdwinTheAquarist said:
I definitely don't mind doing water changes if it allows me to have more fish. I bought a python water changer and it's the best.
Only other thing I’d recommend are more plants to break the line of sight in case of any stress and/or aggression. Taller plants would be best. And the added plants will be good at keeping oxygen levels good and for algae control (if that’s an issue you deal with).

Anacharis is good since it can be planted or left to float, it’s low light and doesn’t need fertilizer. (I got mine on Etsy).

Cryoraptor

Reaction score
Candace said:
If you do add another school of tetras, smaller is better, I personally recommend 6 ember tetras and then the Bolivian ram or dwarf GouramI with 50% water changes each week. Any tetra larger than the embers may be pushing it. (Unless you have the time and willingness to do 2 water changes of 30-40% twice a week)
I be worried about the ram or gourami bullying the diminutive tetras. My dwarf gourami bullied cories over food so I wouldn't want to imagine what it could have done to a small ember tetra.

As long as you keep up on water changes, there shouldn't be an issue.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally I would stick to just one school. With 6 guppies and 10 neons you have plenty of mid dwelling fish already.

New Threads