Am I Overstocking My 20 Gallon Long Tank?

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
I haven't got any fish yet but I plan to look ahead. I wanted to get something along the lines of this.

My common pleco, which I can't get a bigger tank for as I'm not in charge of the money in my household and I got before I started doing research on fish. I am well aware that they need at least a 75 gallon tank, which I will get for it as soon as I can. The size of it right now is 6 inches

5 - 6 kuhli loaches

3 african dwarf frogs which I'm planning to spot feed whenever I need to

12 - 14 neon tetras

1 betta fish

If I am overstocking please tell me and I have not gotten these fish yet, so I would just like to know.

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Plecos are huge waste makers, i'd say yes you're overstocked with it, either rehome it or as you said. Without it you'd be ok, ADF's may be an issue with the Betta and you should get more Kuhli's. I Wouldn't get anything with the Pleco tho, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
Plecos are huge waste makers, i'd say yes you're overstocked with it, either rehome it or as you said. Without it you'd be ok, ADF's may be an issue with the Betta and you should get more Kuhli's. I Wouldn't get anything with the Pleco tho, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Alright, I’ll rehome my pleco, I don’t want any of my fish living in bad conditions. when u say I should get more Kuhli loaches, how many more do u recommend? (Without overstocking the tank) also, the betta fish is going to go last in the community and if I have any problems I will have a backup tank ready.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only issue I see is the neons. They very delicate due to inbreeding, and tend to do better in cooler conditions that the betta doesnt like. Better off with cardinals, they hardie and prefer temps that the betta likes.

As for kuhlies, you could easily double the amount tha you specified without issue (10-12)

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
The only issue I see is the neons. They very delicate due to inbreeding, and tend to do better in cooler conditions that the betta doesnt like. Better off with cardinals, they hardie and prefer temps that the betta likes.

As for kuhlies, you could easily double the amount tha you specified without issue (10-12)
Ahh I was deciding between cardinals and neons but found that neons tend to be more available. And wow that many kuhlis? Dang ok. Thank you so much for your help and time!

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kuhli Loachs are neat fish, I've kept them in the past but I almost never saw them, gave them plenty of hiding spaces to feel comfortable and they almost never came out unless the lights were out.. just a heads up. If you want a fish you'll see more of, corydoras would be a good fit for a 20 long... But yeah you could do that stocking though minus the common pleco, 75g is eventually too small for them even they get about 1.5 feet or so apparently, common plecos shouldn't even be sold in the hobby. Go with a few otocinclus or a bristlenose pleco if you need an algae eater.

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
Kuhli Loachs are neat fish, I've kept them in the past but I almost never saw them, gave them plenty of hiding spaces to feel comfortable and they almost never came out unless the lights were out.. just a heads up. If you want a fish you'll see more of, corydoras would be a good fit for a 20 long... But yeah you could do that stocking though minus the common pleco, 75g is eventually too small for them even they get about 1.5 feet or so apparently, common plecos shouldn't even be sold in the hobby. Go with a few otocinclus or a bristlenose pleco if you need an algae eater.
Actually in the long run, I think I’ll rehome it to a friend who has a 120 gallon fish pond outside. And I don’t mind not being able to see them, besides, I’ve heard the more you have, the more likely it is that you’ll see them during the day. Thank you for your input!

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ahh I was deciding between cardinals and neons but found that neons tend to be more available. And wow that many kuhlis? Dang ok. Thank you so much for your help and time!
Yeah, Kuhli's have a low bio load and although they are active they don't take up too much space. Like stated above give them plenty oh hiding places and oddly enough you'll see them more often.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For fish that live long healthy lives = understock (done by a few people called fish keepers)

For temporary inhabitants that need replacing regularly = overstock (done by most people called fish buyers)

Use Aquadvisor as a starting point and confirm with a good forum such as Fishlore.

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
I finally got around to use aquadvisor and I’m seeing that it’s not exactly what the other people in the original comments were saying. My stocking is pretty high and I really don’t want to overstock at all. Any comments or advice?

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think aquaadvisor said my tank was going to explode one time, ha.

I had a 20g high tank I recently took down, so another tank could go in its place.

It was over stocked, though I ran 2x Aquaclear 30's + a sponge filter on it. I did 50-70% water changes every 7-10 days. Always had zero ammonia and nitrites and nitrates were good.

I know what ADF's are, but I dont know much about them. Do they stay small? How many do you have?

How has your water parameters been?

Hard to say of you're over stocked. Do you still have what was on your list in the original post?

Also, what type of filtration do you have?

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I finally got around to use aquadvisor and I’m seeing that it’s not exactly what the other people in the original comments were saying. My stocking is pretty high and I really don’t want to overstock at all. Any comments or advice?
10 Cardinals or 10/15 Neons
10 Kuhlis
1 Betta
aquaadvisor says 90% but you're really not overstocked.
Same as above. Several of my aquariums would of exploded months ago if it was that accurate. It's a very rough guide but it's certainly not the law.

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
I think aquaadvisor said my tank was going to explode one time, ha.

I had a 20g high tank I recently took down, so another tank could go in its place.

It was over stocked, though I ran 2x Aquaclear 30's + a sponge filter on it. I did 50-70% water changes every 7-10 days. Always had zero ammonia and nitrites and nitrates were good.

I know what ADF's are, but I dont know much about them. Do they stay small? How many do you have?

How has your water parameters been?

Hard to say of you're over stocked. Do you still have what was on your list in the original post?

Also, what type of filtration do you have?
Actually I haven’t gotten anything yet, I just wanted to research as much as I can before I get anything so I can’t say anything about my water parameters.

The fish I want to have are

12-15 neon/cardinal tetras
12 kuhli loaches
1 betta fish
3?4? ADF

ADF stay relatively small, maybe 3 inches at most?

I plan on getting a HOB filter (not sure yet what type yet, recommendations?) plus two 10 gallon sponge filters

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How often do you plan on doing water changes and will you be using live plants? If you plant your tank and do 50% water changes every week then you could possibly get away with a dozen of each, but I wouldn’t do more. If you stock 12 of each and feel you want more then look at your nitrates. If you’re able to keep them below 20 every week then you could try a couple more fish. If you want a lower maintenance tank then lighten the stocking. My Uncle wanted a heavily stocked tank and said he’d commit an hour a week to his tank maintenance but now that he’s gotten used to water changes he changed his mind to a lighter stocking in order to lessen his water change schedule. Water changes won’t take an hour but it’s the idea that you need to commit to making that time for maintenance in order to avoid disease and death.

Something to consider is that Bettas don’t make good community fish. Even if their temperament is mild (some will kill other fish, some won’t) they will tend to over eat and bloat. This is not healthy for the betta and could cause problems. On the opposite end the ADFs are slow eaters so they may be outcompeted for food with the betta and the Kuhli loaches. If your heart isn’t set on the betta then I would look at possibly getting a honey gourami since they would work well with your stocking plan.

Also I like the Marineland penguin 150B filter. It’s worked wonderfully for my 20

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Having 2 sponge filters is great, one for each of the back corners is a good move.

There are tons of options for HOB filters.

I like Aquaclears. I own 5 now, but only using 2 at the moment.

Here are some pics of my Top Fin Silentstream 75 filter that came off our new 55g kit.

I have it on a 20g on our covered back deck that has been a quarantine tank for past month.....

20190731_143057.jpg

Screenshot_20190806-001844_Video Player.jpg

I had 2 bags of cycled media I put in there, plus some foam sponges and Polyfil.

I think PetSmart has them for $29 on sale.

They have adjustable flow knob which is handy.

Silentstreams, Seachem Tidals and Aquaclears have adjustable flow rates.

Here is a (LINK) that may interest you. It is a thread on the forum that gives examples with pics, showing how to add DIY media to your filter, how to eliminate using cartridges, and boost the mechanical and biological filtration of HOB filters.

As far as your stocking list, kuhli loaches are awesome. We keep them and they are very fun to watch. They like company of other kuhli's and like hiding spots. The more cover they have, the more comfortable they become. This allows them to come out a lot during the day, instead of hiding.

I woukd add 4-6 corydoras to your list. I have a dozen peppered corys and 4 albino corys. Both have been hardy in my experience.

I cant give any suggestions regarding a betta, or their appropriate tank mates.

Check out these male "lime green endlers" (link) and these male "el tigre endlers" (link). They may be a good addition to your 20g long, in lieu of the neon tetras.

I just discovered that bredder today, Aqua Huna. It is a wholesale fish breeder that also sells direct to public. Plus $12.99 for s&h is a deal.

If Cory from the Aquarium Co-OP YouTube channel approves of this place enough to post a fish-room tour of them, they are probably legit.

I am contemplating trying them out myself next time I order fish.

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
I plan on doing a water change every 7-10 days and am going to use live plants. I’ve actually thought about it a little and I think later on in life I can get a betta plus African dwarf frog in its own tank. So I might have to look into the goumaris. I’m sure I can dedicate time to my tanks, but I’m worried ,since all these fish can live a long life, I’ve been wondering if my parents and/or sibling can when I leave for college as I’m in high school right now (I might just have to take them with me to college lol)
Anyways, thank you for your advice!

I haven’t really thought about adding endler guppies because I have a guppy tank at the moment which I’ve had for years before I became interested in this hobby. Also, thank you for recommending that site to me, I’ll see if I should use them in the future plus all the thanks for your filter help!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Kuhlis are the best, and also java loaches are great too (often called "black kuhli loach") i have both and theyre honestly the neatest and most entertaining fish. I also have cories, they make for good fish to have as well. Theyre cute and active little guys.

Id offer a few oak leaves or indian almond leaves, for cover. Mine live in the leaf litter and it makes them feel confident enough to come out often. You could scatter them or have just a small discreet corner.

Heck, even my dwarf gourami likes hiding in the leaves.

Gouramis are good fish as well. I have a dwarf but dwarves arent always so hardy, be aware of that should you decide on a dwarf. A honey is more likely to be amiable with other tankmates (my dwarf likes my cories and loaches, hates everyone else so he has to stay only with them) and are healthier as a species than dwarves are. Honeys can be kept in pairs, dwarves should be kept single due to males being pretty territorial even against females (which are hard to even buy as it is).

Attachments

avidfishkeeper

Reaction score
Kuhlis are the best, and also java loaches are great too (often called "black kuhli loach") i have both and theyre honestly the neatest and most entertaining fish. I also have cories, they make for good fish to have as well. Theyre cute and active little guys.

Id offer a few oak leaves or indian almond leaves, for cover. Mine live in the leaf litter and it makes them feel confident enough to come out often. You could scatter them or have just a small discreet corner.

Heck, even my dwarf gourami likes hiding in the leaves.

Gouramis are good fish as well. I have a dwarf but dwarves arent always so hardy, be aware of that should you decide on a dwarf. A honey is more likely to be amiable with other tankmates (my dwarf likes my cories and loaches, hates everyone else so he has to stay only with them) and are healthier as a species than dwarves are. Honeys can be kept in pairs, dwarves should be kept single due to males being pretty territorial even against females (which are hard to even buy as it is).
Haha okay thank you!

Top Bottom