Am I overstocking??? - ALL advice, concerns, or comments wanted please!

jdavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!
I recently bought a few new additions to my ten gallon tank and wanted to know your opinion on it. I originally had three glofish, but one of them passed away from swim bladder disease (the pea method did not work for the little guy) so the tank started looking empty. I bought some guppies and now I'm concerned that I may be overstocking. Here's my current stock:

- 5 male guppies (all babies right now)
- 1 mystery snail (he's been there since day one and is HUGE)
- 2 Glofish skirt tetras (one long finned, one normal)
- 3 cherry shrimp

This tank also has a fair share of plants:
- 7 marimo moss balls (4 of which are very small)
- 2 medium sized amazon sword plants
- 1 crested java fern (and two little sproutlets)
- 1 java fern
- 1 crypt wendii
- 1 piece of driftwood
and a granite hideaway

I'm also cycling a 5 gallon tank and decided to boost the cycle (its been like two months) by adding turbo start (BB that was promoted by Flip Aquatics) so I also added a small dose of that to the tank before adding the fish. The tank was already perfectly cycled before all of the fish, but I wanted to add all the bacteria I could :)

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
According to AqAdvisor, you're a bit overstocked but you're probably okay with having that many plants as long as its cycled and somewhat established. Watch your ammonia levels to make sure you don't have an ammonia spike. They do sell the Seachem ammonia alert that's supposed to measure the amount of free ammonia in the tank but I'm not 100% sold on them yet. There are some other issues though...
-If they're long finned or fancy guppies, tetras can be too nippy to live with them. Your long finned may be fine because the fins slow them down a bit.
-I think tetras are recommended to be in groups of at least 5 to help with the aggression and because they are schooling fish.
-The tetras may also eat your cherry shrimp. They may be able to stay alive in the plants but you probably won't have many babies that make it if breeding is your goal.

Honestly, I would move your guppies and your cherry shrimp to the 5 gallon once its cycled and plant it pretty well.

OP
jdavi

jdavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'm not exactly sure on the type of guppy but their fins are all pretty short for now. In order to lessen the aggression of the two tetras, I made sure to rearrange the entire tank before and monitor them all closely. From what I've seen in my tank, the tetras don't chase or nip at the guppies anymore (one tried for the first few minutes of the guppies being there). I've also noticed that my cherry shrimp like to hide in the crevices of the driftwood. I had ghost shrimp before and the tetras left them alone, so I hope that's the case here! I'm not looking to breed the shrimp, I just like watching them come out of hiding every once in a while :) I know the tetras are schooling fish but I was very hesitant to buy more glofish, so I looked into getting guppies and my LFS guy said it was fine (honestly, I probably should've done more research on that). The tank has been going for about 8 months and is showing good levels (0 ppm ammo & nitrite, and about 40 ppm nitrate).

Again, thank you and I'll definitely consider moving the guppies and/or shrimp!

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It definitely may work for you! Anything is possible! Those are really just the blanket warnings for that stocking. It really depends on your fish and their aggression levels. Keep in mind though that you may have to move them once the guppies get older. They could be fine together for most of their lives also but, one day, someone changes their mind and its suddenly not okay anymore.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdavi said:
Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'm not exactly sure on the type of guppy but their fins are all pretty short for now. In order to lessen the aggression of the two tetras, I made sure to rearrange the entire tank before and monitor them all closely. From what I've seen in my tank, the tetras don't chase or nip at the guppies anymore (one tried for the first few minutes of the guppies being there). I've also noticed that my cherry shrimp like to hide in the crevices of the driftwood. I had ghost shrimp before and the tetras left them alone, so I hope that's the case here! I'm not looking to breed the shrimp, I just like watching them come out of hiding every once in a while :) I know the tetras are schooling fish but I was very hesitant to buy more glofish, so I looked into getting guppies and my LFS guy said it was fine (honestly, I probably should've done more research on that). The tank has been going for about 8 months and is showing good levels (0 ppm ammo & nitrite, and about 40 ppm nitrate).

Again, thank you and I'll definitely consider moving the guppies and/or shrimp!
Do you know what kind of glofish you had? If not, can you post a picture of the remaining ones? There's a good chance they're based on white skirt tetras, and if that's the case then you could just add some basic white skirt tetras or black skirt tetras. They're all the same species and will shoal together.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The guppies are fine, the issue in my opinion are the glofish tetras. I'd say they need a 20g minimum, as well as a school of 6+. I'd give them back to the fish store if possible.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could work just fine bio-load wise, but like said above I think the tetras would do better in at least a 20 gallon, preferably long(with a bigger group).

OP
jdavi

jdavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
Do you know what kind of glofish you had? If not, can you post a picture of the remaining ones? There's a good chance they're based on white skirt tetras, and if that's the case then you could just add some basic white skirt tetras or black skirt tetras. They're all the same species and will shoal together.
Yes I do, it's in the original thread I think... They're based off of the white skirt tetras. I have one long finned and one regular. In this case, I can't add more tetras since the bioload is already at max. Thank you though and I'll use that info in the future !!!

OP
jdavi

jdavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
This is a fairly heavy stocking for a 10 gallon tank but is doable with big enough water changes each week. I would be changing out enough water each week to get and keep those nitrates down below 20.
Yes!! I've been watching this tank closely (water testing often) and I always do about a 30-40% water change :)

OP
jdavi

jdavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anders247 said:
The guppies are fine, the issue in my opinion are the glofish tetras. I'd say they need a 20g minimum, as well as a school of 6+. I'd give them back to the fish store if possible.
I agree with the glofish tetras being the issue, but unfortunately they're from Petco and I know for a fact they wouldn't do as good in the store as they are in my tank. My local petco is terrible and I don't go back there lol. The fish constantly die and they're overstocked far more than my tank could ever be. For the 20 g, I agree looking back but I can't get a new 20 gallon tank :( I've been home and watching the tank closely and the tetras seem to do okay and get along with everyone as far as I know. I hope this trend stays that way! They're also about 8 months old so I'd feel terrible bringing them back.

OP
jdavi

jdavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
flyinGourami said:
It could work just fine bio-load wise, but like said above I think the tetras would do better in at least a 20 gallon, preferably long(with a bigger group).
I agree with you and wish I researched more in the beginning on them! I trusted Petco, and that certainly wasn't smart on my end. However, I'm learning from my mistakes and hope that these two tetras continue to get along with everyone. I will consider rehoming them if I find someone trustworthy and sort of experienced! Thank you!!

OP
jdavi

jdavi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie993 said:
It definitely may work for you! Anything is possible! Those are really just the blanket warnings for that stocking. It really depends on your fish and their aggression levels. Keep in mind though that you may have to move them once the guppies get older. They could be fine together for most of their lives also but, one day, someone changes their mind and its suddenly not okay anymore.
I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thank you

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdavi said:
I agree with the glofish tetras being the issue, but unfortunately they're from Petco and I know for a fact they wouldn't do as good in the store as they are in my tank. My local petco is terrible and I don't go back there lol. The fish constantly die and they're overstocked far more than my tank could ever be. For the 20 g, I agree looking back but I can't get a new 20 gallon tank :( I've been home and watching the tank closely and the tetras seem to do okay and get along with everyone as far as I know. I hope this trend stays that way! They're also about 8 months old so I'd feel terrible bringing them back.
I'm not saying you should go back, but all fish stores (or at least all I've seen) overstock more than we could at home. They have to. In the retail world shelf space is money. I believe they have adequate filtration to handle the load.

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My local petco isn't great either, definitely better than the local petsmart though and the only LFS closer than an hour and a half away is almost worse than the chain stores. Gotta work with what you've got lol I have bought quite a few fish from the chain stores but I always assume I'm going to have to treat something. Another option that I've used quite a few times is Aquabid. Most of the sellers on there are really good and, if you're ever unsure about one, I'm sure someone on here has bought from them before and could give you their thoughts. The only bad experience I've had was buying some floating plants from a new seller with no reviews but that was pretty risky anyway.

New Threads