Am I Overstocked?

1. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie Wartooth New Member Member

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

I don't think so personally, but I overstock all of my tanks.... Go onto aqadvisor.com and see what the site says. aqadvisor claims I'm 248% overstocked and I'm at 16% filtration...BUT, I've had my S/A cichlids for about a year now and everyone is doing fine.

Even if the site does say you're over-stocked, I still think you'd be fine...Also, the 1in of fish per 1gal rule isn't considered accurate anymore. It's like, a general guideline now..

Edit: so i got bored and checked it out. Aqadvisor claims your 120% overstocked, BUT you're at 231% filtration for your species...So...yeah. Aqadvisor is actually saying to add more threadfin rainbows because they like to be in groups of 5+ and that mollies should be at a ratio of 1M: 2F...but honestly, I wouldn't worry about all that jumbo...It's true but if you're already worried about being overstocked, I wouldn't add more...I think you're 100% fine, especially with all that extra filtration.

3. OP
    OP
    Tokie Wartooth

Tokie Wartooth New Member Member

Ok thanks.. now i just have to learn not to feed soooo much lol

4. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

Honestly I had the same problem with my community tank. I feed flake food instead of granuals or pellets. The pellets or granuals will keep the tank cleaner imo, but my fish don't take to them. So flake it is.

You don't have any bottom feeders on your list...A smaller clean up crew might help if you're finding food on the bottom. I have 4 cories, 4 tiger loaches, 4 kuhli loaches and 3 pleco (2 BN and 1 clown) to clean up after my goldfish in a 45 (overstocked). They do really well. Some pygmy cories, kuhlies, or small loaches shouldn't put you too far over...and like....
    I might get some flack for this, but, it's kind of the truth per my experience.
    Overstocking is okay AS LONG AS you have enough filtration to deal with the extra bioload. So, aqadvisor says I'm 248% overstocked, you would think with those numbers I'd have sick and really aggressive cichlids in that tank, but they're healthy and colorful. That's because I have (I'm assuming) enough BB in my filter to take care of all the extra bio-load (with weekly water changes).

and considering you're filtration, you could probably add 4-6 of something else (gradually) and you'd probably be okay. 'overstocked' for sure then, but the tank would still be okay as long as you don't completely clean the filter out. Also, if you do get some bottom feeders, you wouldn't have any space issues because they'll stay on the bottom, So your fish will still have the same 'space' as before, just some added bio-load that the filter will take care of (should, in a cycled tank, anyway).

5. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

What kind of mollies are they? I’d take them out and up the rainbow fish. Or take the rainbows out. Honestly you shouldn’t have two schooling species in a 20 gallon. You could up the neons, take the rainbows out, and add some small cories. That’d be fine.

Aqua adivsor is not the only component that you should base stocking off of

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The inch per gallon rule, and aqadvisor, are both terribly inaccurate. Don't use them.

I would rehome the mollies and threadfin rainbows, and add 4 more neons and 8 panda cories. Then you'd be stocked, imo.

7. FishLover00

FishLover00 Well Known Member Member

I agree with @FishGirl38 mostly. I think that there is a point where you will know when your overstocked but it mostly depends on the care, filtration, how much you feed, and if you have live plants. I think your fine with your tank, don’t add any fish and don’t get rid of any fish. The only thing you can do to help is get live plants for the tank or maybe some nerite snails. I have a 10 gallon that the average person would say is overstocked but I take VERY good care of all my tanks, fish, and invertebrates and they are THRIVING and HAPPY so it all depends on you (mostly). I do not want to start an argument so I will not say what I have in the tank if you @Tokie Wartooth would like me to give you some info and tell you how I do my tank and what’s in it let me know and I will message you. :)