Am I Overstocked?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ChrisTheFishkeeper2004, Jun 16, 2018.

1. ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

ChrisTheFishkeeper2004 Valued Member Member

Hello, I was just wondering if I was overstocked. I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank with live plants. I also have a canister filtered and I am cycled. My ammonia is 0 , nitrite 0 nitrate 10 These are my fish...

X1 female betta
    X14 guppies
    X3 Serpea Tetras
    X3 Dwarf Gouramis
    X2 Otocicnlus Catfish(plan on getting more)
    X6 Cory catfish
    X3 Clown plecos
    X2 Amano Shrimp
    X1 Orange Mexican Dwarf Crayfish

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

No, you aren’t, but you do have some issues with your stocking.

3. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Ok thanks for the quick reply. What issues do I have?

4. Fanatic

Serpae Tetras aren’t temperature compatible with bettas, and they are boisterous nippy fish, which can stress the betta, or cause it to strike back. Dwarf Gouramis are territorial, they shouldn’t be with bettas, nor be in groups. Some people successfully do it, others don’t.

What type of cory?

5. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Sterbai Cory cats. Oh my LFS said gouramis would be fine together... I have 2 males and 1 female who lays eggs for me quit often. I have my tank temp at 78. And my serpeas haven’t bothered any fish. No fish have any nipped fins or tails... maybe I just got lucky? I can rehome 1 of the gouramis, could I keep the 1 male and the female that I have? I did know that about Bettas with Gouramis but I do have a lot of hiding spots in my tank. Could it still work out?

6. Fanatic

Oh, well that’s great!
    You can take one back, and keep the pair, or keep all three if there aren’t any problems.

I would take the betta back or move her to a separate tank. If she’s getting chased at all, I would move her out sooner.

7. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Ok I’ll watch out if the betta is being chased or if she chases any of the fish. If there are no problems with her, could I still keep her in the tank?

8. Fanatic

I wouldn’t, mainly because they aren’t temperature compatible, but you can if you really want to.

9. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

My LFS said that Serpea’s can be fine at 75-80 degrees. Is that true? I’m starting to not trust my LFS any more lol. But I do know that Betta’s do well at 75-80. Could you please let me know what temp Serpea Tetras are comfortable at so I can Rehome them to a friend who has a huge school of them.

10. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I’d rehome the otos as they really prefer cooler waters.

Also, the serpae tetras may nip at the betta(unless you mice the betta back).
    But they would prefer cooler water as well.

11. OP
    OP
    ChrisTheFishkeeper2004

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I will rehome the ottos as well and will watch the betta and the Serpeas

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice