Am I Overstocked? Question

1. T

Tina881 New Member Member

I have a 75 Gallon nano aquarium. for the 75 gallon tank, i have a Hydor Professional External Canister Filter 350 that turns 280GPH and a SunSun 302 that turns 264GPH.

Currently i have in it:
    yoyo loaches 10
    bristlenose pleco 3
    panda corydoras 14
    cherry barbs 24
    gold barbs 7

The tank has been running well since February. I changed my substrate then. it have bunches of anacharis, java moss on some malaysian driftwood, java ferns, amazon swords, and several marimo balls.

I attached a few pictures. please ignore the water stains.

I've only been doing this for about a year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you're a bit overstocked with bottom feeders - your yoyos look young still. They'll get big and boisterous.

What do you feed the cories and loaches?

3. OP
    OP
    T

i feed the cories, loaches, and plecos hikari tropical sinking wafers. i also feed a mixture of fluval bugbites, new life spectrum optimum all purpose flakes, and new life spectrum thera A sinking pellets. once in a great while a drop a couple new life spectrum algaemax wafers.

4. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

Your filtration is great, although you are a bit bottom heavy when you stocked the tank. Not an issue though, the substrate looks good for the cories. You aren't overstocked provided you maintain this level of filtration.

5. TexasDomer

I might consider rehoming either the loaches or the cories. As the loaches get larger, they'll get more boisterous and might outcompete or stress the much smaller cories.

6. OP
    OP
    T

i will absolutely consider it. Thank you for the advice! I continue to watch them closely. i have a 29gallon that i'm considering updating a 45 gallon and will keep the thought about moving the corys to one of the other tanks.

7. TexasDomer

Have you thought about adding some tall decor too? It might help the schooling fish feel more comfortable.

8. OP
    OP
    T

i've been slowly building up the plants, but would love you hear what you suggest. the barbs have all hid in the marimo valley. i was thinking of getting more driftwood for more vertical spaces. please let me know.

9. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Not trying to be critical but if it was my tank, I would put a background on the back.

Love the pictures of the loaches and corys.

10. OP
    OP
    T

thank you! i did have a background before but ended up painting the back of it black.

11. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Whoops!

I was looking at the first picture, and don’t know what I thought I was seeing.

Looks good.

And i’m Partial to bottom feeders although I know nothing about yo-yo loaches.

But all my tanks except 1 have some type of Cory, and the one that doesn’t seems bare.

12. TexasDomer

Driftwood, tall plants, rocks, etc would all be good! They'll help the schooling fish swim in the middle of the tank, instead of hiding all the time.