Am I Overstocked?

Frani

Reaction score
i have a 20gal with 4 guppies (male) and 2 Corydoras, used to have 3 Corys but one of them disappeared. Will I be ok adding 2 more Corys and then two platys? Will that be overstocked? Should I just stick with the
Corys?

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You will be perfectly fine adding in 2 more Cory Cats don't worry about it. Cory's don't take up much stock to begin with, not to mention they are cleaning your substrate constantly. As for the Plattys, same thing, they don't take up much space so you'll be fine adding them in. Just keep up with your filtration and your water changes.

Frani

Reaction score
Can I still add two more platys after I add the corys without being overstocked?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd recommend getting at least 3 more Cories, they should be in groups 6+. Adding 2 Platies should be fine, but I wouldn't add after that. Is this a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high?

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Frani said:
Can I still add two more platys after I add the corys without being overstocked?
Yeah of course, they don't take up that much space as I said. As long as your filtration is good, and you keep up with your water changes, you will be perfectly fine.

AquaticJ said:
I'd recommend getting at least 3 more Cories, they should be in groups 6+. Adding 2 Platies should be fine, but I wouldn't add after that. Is this a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high?
Having Cory's in 6+ groups is a complete myth. That's not necessarily true. I have had them in tanks by themselves, with 2 of them, with 3 of them, with 8 of them, etc. They don't need to be kept in groups of 6.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depends. 20 high has a smaller foot print than a normal or long. Corydoras need to be in groups of at least 6. Guppies and Platies can interbreed, though they won't be fertile most times, so get males. That stock should be fine, but no more.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Alex Pasquale said:
Having Cory's in 6+ groups is a complete myth. That's not necessarily true. I have had them in tanks by themselves, with 2 of them, with 3 of them, with 8 of them, etc. They don't need to be kept in groups of 6.
How is it a myth? It's a schooling fish. Schooling fish do best in groups of 6 or more.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alex Pasquale said:
Hmm.. I had only three cories... I hardly ever saw them.. they were very shy and skittish.. I now have around 8.. I see them all the time and they are very playful and fun to watch.. so I have to politely disagree with you on that!!!

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alex Pasquale said:
Wait a second man. You CAN keep one, but the corydoras will just be miserable. They are shoaling fish and are very social. Not a myth. When alone, they are stressed and scared, and more susceptible to disease.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you dont have to keep schooling fish in groups but it is recommended because they will feel more secure and act more natural in a group then if they were by themselves. i used to keep corys in just a pair and they were miserable, stressed and inactive. sometimes they can do well in just small groups of 3 but is rare

but it sounds like your stocking plan will be just fine

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom